Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

02 Big bear LED headlights w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 02 Big bear LED headlights w/ pics

I recently bought an 02 big bear 400 (needed work) with intentions of turning it into a reliable trail rider.
After replacing the rings, wheel bearings, seals, brake pads, cleaned fuel tank, carb rebuild, clear fuel hose, front plastics and rack. I finally had something that was resembling something that was ready for the trails.

The last thing I needed was lighting that was as reliable as the bike. After hours of reviews and searching ebay, I finally chose a light. Its an 18w 12-24v 30 degree beam 4" LED. Link->
18W Offroad LED Work Light Floodlight Driving Tractor Forklift Reverse Light 12V | eBay

If this thread is old, and the link no longer works, his store name is ledstores. Search for that and find the light with those specs. If you buy from them, leave a note when buying (hvguy) so they know I sent you.

I made the bracket out of 1"x1/8 angle iron cut at 45 degrees and beveled on the bottom to form around the bumper and welded for strength to keep it from wobbling around on trails.

For power I cut the harness off of the old light housing and used the black (-) and green(+) wires soldered and heat shrink for reliability (crimp connectors corrode over time)

For whatever reason, the right light looks a bit blue, however when seeing it in person, I dont notice a difference... must be my phones camera.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

That looks cool. Nice idea.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default big bear

Hi, I recently did a rebuild on my 02 big bear and saw you did the same. Did you have any problems? I keep having the problem of burning oil on startup after it sits for awhile. Thanks

Old 03-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

i am in the middle of a 02 bb400 rebuild aswell, nice idea i think im going to steal it. where did you order your lights from??......as for the post above mine it sounds like valve seals, or a cracked oil ring both would cause your problem your having, have you done a compression test?

Old 03-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

I have not done a compression test yet. It's definitely nothing with the rings as they are new and so is the cylinder jug. It has a different head on it. With this head, the bike has more compression than ever. You can hear good backpressure from the exhaust.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

id say it sounds like a valve seal then. did u get a top end gasket kit when u changed over your jug and head, usually itll come with that

Old 03-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I did. I'm thinking maybe the seals were either installed wrong or not at all. I also wonder if there is a difference in the quality of aftermarket valve seals to oem seals.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

ya if there was nothing wrong with em when you brought it in to get worked on they might of skipped that step of the rebuild(im assuming you brought it somewhere because your not sure if they were replaced)id ask them forsure and ask wtf its burnin oil when cold. first id double check your oil level make sure its not to high. i dunno how cold it is where you are but are you sure its oil burning and not condinsation in ur pipe. can u see/smell oil burning?? i ask this because every yamaha i've owned has smoked a little on start up when it reaches -0 or colder.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:24 AM
Trailblazer

I completed the rebuild myself. I took the cylinder head and jug into a machine shop for honing/valve seals. I've triple checked that already and the oil is right where it should be. It's very cold here about -15 below 0. Its definitely oil and not condensation. I can smell the oil and see the blue smoke from the exhaust. Is there a way I can determine if its the valve seals without taking the head off? I'm thinking maybe if I take the exhaust header pipe out and take a look inside to see if I find oil. I could also do the same for the intake side?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

that could work do it when its cold mabye start it for a few seconds then check for fresh oil around valve stem inside intake and exhaust ports.

Quick Reply: 02 Big bear LED headlights w/ pics