Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New blaster owner!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New blaster owner!

Hey guys, kinda new to the site...
Bought a blaster today that needed some work. Was told it needed a top engine rebuild, but was complete. I drove 45 mins to see it and it is a 2001, in decent to good shape. Have a couple questions for you guys...

The kid was going to rebuild it himself so he started taking the plastics off, and I noticed he removed the pipe fromthe cylinder .I am scared that it is going to need more than a bore/piston ring job, and could spiral into a whole engine now. Thoughts?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why? Do you think debris may have gotten into the bottom end? Is the piston broken or something? It is always advisable to check the rod for play when doing the top end.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Highly doubtfull it'll be a complete motor job.
Bore/piston should do it.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

It was stored outside and I was worried that condensation could get in the motor and create rust on the bearings?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Forgive me I am new to all this stuff! If a piece of piston broke off how many of you had to crack the case to get it out? Stuff like that makes me nervous as I am sure repair costs can skyrocket. Anyone know anyone reputable in upstate ny area?

Old 02-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

2 stroke motors are simple. Worse case scenario would be having to split the cases put in a new crankshaft, bearings and crank seals.
About $500 at wiseco. :: piston kit =170, crank=240,gaskets/bearings=95.
The bore will be 50-60, and labor 100+ if you're not doing it yourself.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I was bored after I shoveled out after the big storm...
The chain is not on so I was having a hard time getting it in gear but I did. I dropped the front end down about 2 feet after having it on blocks(intentionally) onto the ground, and low and behold it kicked over. So,,,, I think it maybe semi-seized in the bore, but I am just going to take the engine out and bring it in the house, and disassemble. I'll take some pictures and you guys can tell me how bad the carnage is. I am used to taking the piston out of the hole, not the hole off the piston, lol
Cheers

Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

i ended up pulling the engine out and disassembing it in my basement. drained the oil in crankcase, pulled head and jug and rotated crank and piston and there is ice chunks in there, wtf... i tipped it upside down and am letting it thaw out. the exhaust was off, so i am wondering if that is why it is full of water. the rod does not appear bent, by spinning it idk if you could even tell unless it was ever so slightly bent. the jug needs a little taken off, probably .010 or .020
how can it tell if the rod is bent besides the obvious bent you may or may not see

Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

It's not a bent rod you're looking for,but ANY up and down movement on the lower rod bearing on the crank shaft. Side to side play is acceptable. Hold the rod down low when it's at tdc on the crank and pull up and down. If you feel any play it needs a new rod kit.Plus crank bearings and seals. Any good machine shop can install it and true the crank up.If mine with ice in the bottom end I wouldn't trust just doing a top end any way,but that's just me.http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-200-BLASTER-HOT-RODS-CONNECTING-ROD-/360476910940?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ee19255c&vxp=mtr

Old 02-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am going to check it out better tomorrow night. I will check the rod like you said. Btw, so I don't get ripped off, how much should a machine shop charge me to bore it out?
Also would I have to get custom head gaskets due to the bigger bore?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New blaster owner!