Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

About to buy an 07 Wolverine.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy an 07 Wolverine.

Hi, I am new to the boards and just wanted to ask a couple of quick questions. First off, I am going to look at an 07 Wolverine 450 on Friday (3/14/13). The guy wanted 3200 for it but said he would except 2900 since I could pick the 4 wheeler up and he wouldn't have to deliver it. It comes with two sets of mounted tires, and a set of unmounted tires. It also comes with various parts, brake pads, differential oils and a rear boot. He also claims to be a mechanic and kept up with the overall maintenance. So my question is: What should I be looking for when I look at this machine to make sure that it isn't beat to death, other than cosmetic damage and a bleaching motor or tranny? And assuming it is in good condition does 2900 sound like a decent deal? Thanks in advance, sorry if this sounds silly, but I grew up on dirt bikes and I haven't owned and ATV in about 20 yrs.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

There are two Wolverines in that year . A 2wd 350 and a 4wd 450. I buy used all the time.
If it was beat to death it will look it. Take it for a short ride even down the street, Its hard to hide broken.
If the tranny goes into reverse ,neutral and forward then that tells you it works. To test the 4wd if its the 450, I nudge them up to a wall or power pole to see if the front drive engages.
If its the 450 with liquid cooling you will know by the time you do the above test if that works when you see no steam or over heat lights come on.
Here is the two types of Wolverines of that year. http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...e2=38280&go=Go

Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
There are two Wolverines in that year . A 2wd 350 and a 4wd 450. I buy used all the time.
If it was beat to death it will look it. Take it for a short ride even down the street, Its hard to hide broken.
If the tranny goes into reverse ,neutral and forward then that tells you it works. To test the 4wd if its the 450, I nudge them up to a wall or power pole to see if the front drive engages.
If its the 450 with liquid cooling you will know by the time you do the above test if that works when you see no steam or over heat lights come on.
Thanks for the reply, and sorry I thought I had put it was a 450 4x4, then when looked at my post again, I realized I had left that part out. I will edit it in. Do you think it is worth 2900 in good condition? Thanks again.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Endangered Species
Thanks for the reply, and sorry I thought I had put it was a 450 4x4, then when looked at my post again, I realized I had left that part out. I will edit it in. Do you think it is worth 2900 in good condition? Thanks again.
I wish I could tell you but I live in rip off Canada and new and use prices are much higher , I bought a smaller displacement 2007 350 Grizzly 4x4 in good shape for $3500 and it does not have liquid cooling or IRS like the 450 Wolverine.

For $2900 a 450 Wolverine that runs good would have a line up at the guys door.
I sold my 1989 350 4x4 Big Bear with bald tires and no front working brakes for $1800 a few years back without a problem and it had a hard life and looked it like it did.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Range Rover

If you are doubting his claim that he has done all the maintenance work, I would call him out on them. Find a manual online and look for the recommended maintenance items and schedule. Ask him when or how often or the last time he did X to the machine. If he says he has kept up with all of it, he should have no problems answering these.

If you're in a state that requires ATVs to be titled, ask for it.

How many miles are on it? $2900 seems within the range but it all depends on condition.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by quadsr4me
If you are doubting his claim that he has done all the maintenance work, I would call him out on them. Find a manual online and look for the recommended maintenance items and schedule. Ask him when or how often or the last time he did X to the machine. If he says he has kept up with all of it, he should have no problems answering these.

If you're in a state that requires ATVs to be titled, ask for it.

How many miles are on it? $2900 seems within the range but it all depends on condition.
Thanks, I will do that. I live in upstate NY and while the machine is in NY, he has CT. paperwork from the dealer where he bought it new. He told me I would be able to register it. I have no idea how many miles are on it. He is supposed to call me soon with all the details and directions. I will know more at that point.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a link passed along to me but is very helpful...atvconnection.com - Tips for buying a used atv....

As per your question about pricing...I have monitored used pricing in my area since summer '13 for a purchase I made in Feb this year. Although I believe pricing to be slightly higher here than NY area and based upon what the guy is including...if the mechanicals of the Wolverine check out, pricing seems good to me.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Come on boys its a ATV not the space shuttle.
How do you prove when the fluids where changed?
If the ATV looks good and you take it for a little ride down the street and do the little tests I mentioned above what else can you do?
Once you get it home then you should change the motor oil and filter, diff fluids and clean the air filter.

There is always some risk buying used but that's why its $2900 and not $6000.
Everybody on this forum rides a used ATV. They are only consider new parked on the show room floor.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by RedRocket204
Here is a link passed along to me but is very helpful...atvconnection.com - Tips for buying a used atv....

As per your question about pricing...I have monitored used pricing in my area since summer '13 for a purchase I made in Feb this year. Although I believe pricing to be slightly higher here than NY area and based upon what the guy is including...if the mechanicals of the Wolverine check out, pricing seems good to me.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.
Thanks, I will look into it further.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

You have better search skills than me. I was looking for that post. I do #9 all the time. I have gone to purchase machines in the past and asked how often they clean the air box. After hearing an acceptable answer, I ask them if they can show me how to get to the air box. If they have to look for the manual to see how, then I start to wonder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to buy an 07 Wolverine.