Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1998 Big Bear 350 4x4 - Rear brake nearly useless

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Big Bear 350 4x4 - Rear brake nearly useless

I just got a '98 Big Bear 350. The front brake lever works correctly. The rear brake lever and pedal does nothing at fully depressed.

I followed the manual in calibrating it correctly but neither the hand nor foot rear-brakes do anything at all. I can get them to work a LITTLE bit by completely bottoming out the adjustment screws at the rear brake but this is not ideal, per the manual.

What is the problem and how would I go about fixing it?

Has the cable stretched and needs replacing?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

Are you using the Clymer manual? It's very detailed. Mine's a Moto 4 350 4x2, with cable actuated rear with a disc in the back. I have it dialed in pretty well. But I have problems with the front drums which suck anyway. That rear disc is super strong EBC type severe duty and does the job for the most part.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm using the Yamaha Service manual for my atv.

Ideally, when the atv is dialed in, I wouldn't use the front brakes at all but right now it is all I have.

I'm thinking that my issue isn't a "setup" issue but that something needs to be replaced. Do brake cables stretch?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

Check wear on your rear disc or drums if you have that kind of setup. Get EBC type if you need new pads. I don't know about cables stretching, but that doesn't sound normal. On mine it's just a foot brake pedal for the rear and a right handlebar pull for the front. No master cylinder, just cables.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

On the 98 Big Bear 350 4x4 there is a left handlebar lever + right foot pedal for rear brake. There is a right handlebar lever (with brake fluid reservoir) for front brake. Boiled down: front brake = disc, rear brake = drum

After doing a little bit of research on drum brakes, it looks as though an explanation for my issue could be that the drum shoes are worn down and in need of replacement. I've ordered a set of EBC 516 grooved shoes to throw in there.

Thanks a lot for your help, NukaCola; also, I'm a Fallout fan as well.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced the drum brake shoes this weekend to no avail. The old shoes had plenty of life left in them, though I replaced them anyway.

To reiterate, I can still fully adjust/tighten the brake rod from the right pedal brake and make the drum brakes work well enough. Unfortunately the left hand brake (rear brake), fully adjusted/tightened, still has no affect on the rear brake.

Would this mean that the cable is too long? I'm thinking that maybe I should shorten the cable a bit.

Thank you so much for your help.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

At that point I would be stuck. Do you have a manual? I'm not a great mechanic, although I wish I was gifted with that skill set or more learned in it. page 95 of my Clymer manual describes the process, but I don't have a scanner.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

I would really recommend the book. Clymer manual for moto 4 and big bear 1987-2004. I got one for around $20 new.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nukacola, page 95 of your manual describes what process?

I have the yamaha service manual so I can lookup whatever process may be necessary.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

Rear drum adjustment and free play adjustment (1996-on models). It has figures and refers to previous pages as well.

Quick Reply: 1998 Big Bear 350 4x4 - Rear brake nearly useless