Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Fixing my Flooded '09 Big Bear (HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing my Flooded '09 Big Bear (HELP!)

Well I took a wrong turn when I went into the water. The slope was steeper than expected and my bike went into about 4' of water, fully submerged upside down for 15-20 minutes. I was flipping out! The good thing is though, It was not on at all while under water. The engine died during its second roll before hitting the water. So I got her out with the grace of God my father because I probably should have died. We towed her back to the house, thank God it didn't happen on the trail, and we did what we knew best. Opened the air box and took the air filter off and drained the box which was completely full of water. Popped of the spark plug and the side plug for the oil where the dipstick is at and let the chocolate milk flow. Then flipped it on its side, the left side, and then back up on its rear tires to get the water out of the exhaust. We did not try to start it at all. We simply left the bottom plug off, the dipstick and the spark plug out over night. This happened yesterday night (3/30/14)
So today I (3/31/14) I went to assess the damage and the good thing was the pull string turned the cylinder over very easily without struggle allowing for me to get water out of it, so I avoided a seized cylinder (hydrolock). and yea it spat water out a lot. I did my research and from all i got from it, this is what I did.

1. Cranked more with the pull string but then finnaly turned it by holding down the start button to continuously crank the water out of the cylinder head through the spark plug hole, this went n for 30 seconds or so with the oil out. A good amount of water came out. maybe about 1/16 of a cup.

2. Then we drained the gas tank, which did not seem to have water in it, was still very volatile and had good color. But still replaced it and put some Berrymans Chemtool fuel additive to get rid of water and help clean the carb.

3. Opened up the fuse area under seat to dry the sockets out. All electronics are in perfect working order still. Winch, lights, 4 wheel shift, etc.

4. Opened the brake fluid reservoir on top by the handle. I added some because it was low. But I did not change out the fluid as the brakes are still working very well, pressure and all.

5. I then began the oil changing process. I did my research and some people said 3 times, while others said too many dang times..... I am going with what the oil looks like after each change. So far I have changed it 3 times, getting better each time.
1st time I started her up (she cranked with ease) and let it just idle the whole 6-9 minutes it was on. Then drained the still very milky oil. Blowing oil out of the motor with an air compressor through the dipstick hole (this helped a lot). And then we tiled it towards its left side to get as much of the oil out as possible. Then we tightened the plugs and filled her back up. I did not change the oil filter.
2nd time I started again and let it idle for about 5 minutes and gave her a little gas occasionally. But not much, just a little tap of the lever sporadically. then concluded this change the same way as the previous time, but this time I unbolted the oil filter compartment cap and let the oil drain from the lines (think these go to the oil cooler) and the oil filter cylinder. I blew compressed air along the filter to remove grit and then let it dry a bit and then reinstalled it. The oil was still considerably milky.
3rd time I turned her over and let it idle for 5 minutes or so and then gave it some good amount of throttle this time. After the revving the bike seemed to be running smoother with less sputter. And when giving it gas the engine revved instead of wanting to die as was the case during the revving for the second oil change. The oil came out looking a lot better being mostly clear as new oil is.
As of now it is sitting in the garage with the drain plugs out. I think with a couple more oil changes it should be good to go. What do yall think about my procedure? Advice is greatly greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading my long post. Means a lot to me! First time this has ever happened to me. And hopefully will be the last. Also do you know where or how to dispose of the oil with water? No one ever touched on that topic in the other discussions. Thanks once again!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Sounds like your procedure is more than enough. We have had these things happen to us, and we just pulled the spark plug, pumped the water out of the cylinder, shot some starter fluid down the cylinder, cranked it up and kept riding! Then changed the oil when we got home. I wouldnt recommend that though because of the water/mud in the oil could damage the engine. I would just take the used oil that you have to the same place where you recycle your regular motor oil.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

I went to AutoZone and they don't do it. I have also gone to a Jiffy Lube before and they were angry when they saw water in the oil I was dumping into their canister. But I am like well, they have to process this stuff anyway. I am sure they will be sure there is no water in it regardless and run it through a treatment process where it removes H2O. More shouldn't hurt?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah here in NC we have manned dump sites for all of our trash and they have big oil tanks to put your waste oil in. They don't care what you put in it.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by EL"OSO"
I went to AutoZone and they don't do it. I have also gone to a Jiffy Lube before and they were angry when they saw water in the oil I was dumping into their canister. But I am like well, they have to process this stuff anyway. I am sure they will be sure there is no water in it regardless and run it through a treatment process where it removes H2O. More shouldn't hurt?
Early years at the shop we had to pay to have used oil disposed of. Had a 200 gallon oil tank. Starting about 2005 it reversed and were paid 25 cents a gallon from one disposal company for picking it up. Driver said most of the oil they picked up was used for asphalt roads or in making roof shingles.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Raptor450
Yeah here in NC we have manned dump sites for all of our trash and they have big oil tanks to put your waste oil in. They don't care what you put in it.
Yea I just found out that they take this stuff at our local dumps you are able to drive to. They don't even look at what you are dumping in there I hear lol. Water away! Thanks for the advice and for the long read. I thought I was in it deeper than I thought. I have got about one or two more changes to do to the oil and she shall be gtg on Saturday. Thanks again fellers!

Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by EL"OSO"
Yea I just found out that they take this stuff at our local dumps you are able to drive to. They don't even look at what you are dumping in there I hear lol. Water away!
Yeah but if you think about it, there would only be a few ounces of water in the few quarts that you put into the 500? gallon tank, so it wouldn't be enough water to hurt anything, right?