Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2009.BB stalls when on uneven terrain

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009.BB stalls when on uneven terrain

Well I have recently rebuilt my carb if u have seen my other posts it turned out well. That is until I took it riding. Now it starts, it idled, and rides.... But it is not dependable. I can rideit, but it will stall on me. It is very evident when I hit a hill or get bogged down and I get to the wall I have to hop. Then just like puh puh comes from the intake hole located beneath the seat and it will die. It starts uo fine after but when I give it throttle it will die. Like when I give it the majority of the throttle it spudders out. I have to put the thumb on the throttle and push down just a tad, then it starts revving and once I get it to start revving it I can then push the throttle all the way and it revs and returns to idle fine. I would have to rev it very high in neutral to get it going after that but then it would be fine for some time and then do the same again. Sometimes even just when riding on kind of unlevel ground. It's annoying knowing I out all this work and it's still not where it should be. I don't know what the Heck it is. Can u please help me. Thank u in advance guys. This site has been real good to me so far with all the helpful souls out there. Appreciate your read.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

did you make sure the float height was set correctly before you put the carb bowl back on?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

Well there is really no way to adjust it. It just goes in and pivots around a set point. I put it back as I removed it. I thought it woulda been the float but I was thinking u can't really mess that one up. I put both jets back in like the others cam out. There is a little jet or something that does not come out of the hole which it is in. It is covered with a screw in the hole right next to the other jets. I thought maybe that might be the problem as I tried to remove it before I knew it is not supposes to come out. I put a paper clip down the middle in an attempt to get it out but I didnt damage the side of the inside to my knowledge. But I don't know how sensitive that part is. I dont think the unfolded paper clip would do significant damage like that tho. I am so confused about this because when I put the carb back together just fine. It is just not dependable. Gosh. I don't wanna have to buy a new carb. I'm pretty sure that is the problem. Just which part is the problem. Thanks for helping guys. Means a lot

Old 05-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't ever done a Big Bear, but most are about the same. You have to bend the little tab to adjust the float needle. It sounds like your floats are set too low and it's starving for fuel when it gets off level. I don't know the float height specs for a Big Bear.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer

But when approaching a hill or whatever it may be. It seems to be getting a lack of fuel if that's the case, and begin to sputter about 3-5 seconds once on the incline. Wouldn't there be enough fuel still in the bowl for it to consume before the level gets low enough to actually stop the engine from being able to suck up the fuel through the jet?

Old 05-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

You would think it would be enough unless the floats are set extremely low. I can't think of anything else that would be sensitive to the level of the 4 wheeler.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

It seems so huh. Dang man. I will try bending that tab a little. Thanks for the input raptor.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

Ok well I was finally able to get to my carb tuning duties today and I made a few changes. Well I began by cranking her up and she turned right over. I ran the fuel out of the carb, well I got most of it out as when I rotated the carb between the box throat and the combustion chamber throat (way better than removing the whole thing). I unmated the bottom of the bowl and some fuel cam aflowing. I was able to examine all the jets and I removed all 3. Well I would say 2.5 as one of the jets only allows you to remove the screw which it feeds through. I then compared them with the old hardware which I had removed. After speculations, I decided to go ahead and put back the old main jet I had in before as it has a little extension on it which gives it about another 3mm-5mm towards the bottom of the bowl. I also messed with the tang on the float and bent it down a little bit to increase the level of the fuel in the bowl. I then put her heart back together and flipped the fuel switch on. *Ok, moment of truth, let me drive it up the hill in the backyard*. I was super nervous as I was so scared that if this didn't work I was screwed. Well, it worked. I was able to get her up the hill, and even stop it mid way and then give it all the throttle to finish the climb. It putted a little bit one time but it was fine after. I think I need to bend the tang a little more and she will be good to go. The main jet that comes with the moose rebuild kit lacks this crucial piece which is not removable from the original that leads to lack of fuel for the jet as it requires the fuel level to be a significant amount higher as opposed to the original. So for those rebuilding and using the newer parts. I would suggest salvaging the main jet. If not you are going to have to make some adjustments to the tang. I hope all of my troubles and conclusions help those out there with similar problems.

Thanks a lot Raptor for your input. It helped a WHOLEEEEE LOT! God bless you brother!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Cool, glad you got it going!