Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What? 17 tooth front sprocket on a warrior with the big 3 ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What? 17 tooth front sprocket on a warrior with the big 3 ?!?

The guy I bought my warrior 350from said it has a 17 tooth front sprocket? But it spins 20" itp holeshot hd that are 90% tread every time I shift in gravel or dirt. It has a full fmf system and k&n filter with jetting and it feels like it could go a lot faster.
From what I read a 17 tooth front would be to much for a 350 but perfect for a 446 stroker.

So does this sound right?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

A stock Warrior will not pull a 17 tooth front sprocket if the rear sprocket is stock. You could run a 17 tooth front if you have a bigger-than-stock rear, but that setup wouldn't make a lot of sense. If I remember correctly stock is 13 front, 38? rear. A 14 tooth front, and stock rear works good if you have a pipe and filter and 20" rear tires.

Why not just count the teeth to see what you have?

Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Raptor450
A stock Warrior will not pull a 17 tooth front sprocket if the rear sprocket is stock. You could run a 17 tooth front if you have a bigger-than-stock rear, but that setup wouldn't make a lot of sense. If I remember correctly stock is 13 front, 38? rear. A 14 tooth front, and stock rear works good if you have a pipe and filter and 20" rear tires.

Why not just count the teeth to see what you have?
I store it an hour away so I couldn't count it. My brother just counted it and it's a 13. How many mph do I loose with 20 inch tires? Thank you for answering all my questions in all my other threads and this one.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure about the MPH you lose, there is a formula to calculate it that deals with gear ratio and RPM, etc, but math was never my favorite subject! I would guess you would lose about 2 MPH on the top end speed with the smaller tires, but you get to top speed slightly quicker which makes it more fun to drive. You could get a 14 tooth front sprocket to make up the difference, but if you dont have the pipe and filter you will lose some on the bottom end to the point it will be hard to even do a wheelie in 2nd or 3rd gears (if you like doing wheelies).

Old 06-14-2014, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

I'm not sure about the MPH you lose, there is a formula to calculate it that deals with gear ratio and RPM, etc, but math was never my favorite subject! I would guess you would lose about 2 MPH on the top end speed with the smaller tires, but you get to top speed slightly quicker which makes it more fun to drive. You could get a 14 tooth front sprocket to make up the difference, but if you dont have the pipe and filter you will lose some on the bottom end to the point it will be hard to even do a wheelie in 2nd or 3rd gears (if you like doing wheelies).
Will a warrior with 20" tires and a pipe, filter and jetting handle a 15 tooth? I don't really wheelie and if I was to it would be in 1 st or 2nd.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know how it will do with a 15 tooth. I would guess it would be geared too high. I never ran a 15 tooth with that setup but I did run a 14 tooth and a 14 tooth was as high as I would like to go for my riding style. But I weigh 220 lbs and like my bottom end pull. If you weigh less you might can get away with it.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know how it will do with a 15 tooth. I would guess it would be geared too high. I never ran a 15 tooth with that setup but I did run a 14 tooth and a 14 tooth was as high as I would like to go for my riding style. But I weigh 220 lbs and like my bottom end pull. If you weigh less you might can get away with it.
I gues for 10 buck or so a piece I could try them both. Will I have to ad a few links? It looks like there is a lot more adjustment

Old 06-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah you could always try, they're cheap. You will actually have to shorten the chain as you go up in size, but unless the chain is too tight now you shouldn't have to change the links.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:09 AM
Range Rover

The Gearing Commander website has software to determine MPH in each gear by RPM limit, tire size and sprocket size. It will also give you an idea of what chain size you need for different front and rear sprocket sizes, but as a general rule of thumb you can usually go up or down a couple of sizes on the front sprocket without having to change chain size as long as there is enough adjustment in the chain adjuster. From what I've seen the information from the program is fairly accurate. The Warrior is listed in the program under 161 Yamaha YFM 350 Rapter 87-97. Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

If you haven't done it yet you could pick up a little more power and top end speed by modifying you airbox by either removing the lid or opening it up with some holes to increase airflow and rejetting your carb. An ignition from Dynatek would alter your timing curves and give you a higher RPM limit increasing top speed. Cutting your plastic and removing the mudflaps for reduced drag also helps increase top end speed at a certain point from what I've seen at the track. On my Polaris Sport the factory fenders and mudflaps started slowing me down somewhere between 58-62 MPH.

Once I started reaching speeds of over 80 MPH I noticed how unstable and twitchy my quads were at that speed so I lowered and widened them to help make them more stable. Weight reduction is also a good idea on a quad. It won't increase your top end speed, but it's free and it will help you get up to speed quicker.

Attached Thumbnails What? 17 tooth front sprocket on a warrior with the big 3 ?!?-polaris-60-.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by WaaHeHe94
The Gearing Commander website has software to determine MPH in each gear by RPM limit, tire size and sprocket size. It will also give you an idea of what chain size you need for different front and rear sprocket sizes, but as a general rule of thumb you can usually go up or down a couple of sizes on the front sprocket without having to change chain size as long as there is enough adjustment in the chain adjuster. From what I've seen the information from the program is fairly accurate. The Warrior is listed in the program under 161 Yamaha YFM 350 Rapter 87-97. Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

If you haven't done it yet you could pick up a little more power and top end speed by modifying you airbox by either removing the lid or opening it up with some holes to increase airflow and rejetting your carb. An ignition from Dynatek would alter your timing curves and give you a higher RPM limit increasing top speed. Cutting your plastic and removing the mudflaps for reduced drag also helps increase top end speed at a certain point from what I've seen at the track. On my Polaris Sport the factory fenders and mudflaps started slowing me down somewhere between 58-62 MPH.

Once I started reaching speeds of over 80 MPH I noticed how unstable and twitchy my quads were at that speed so I lowered and widened them to help make them more stable. Weight reduction is also a good idea on a quad. It won't increase your top end speed, but it's free and it will help you get up to speed quicker.
Thank you everyone that website really helped. I figured that my warrior with a pipe filter and jetting with the 13 tooth front sprocket and 20" rear tires will do 54mph at 8450 rpm and with a 14 tooth it will do about 58 mph. At 8450 rpm

Quick Reply: What? 17 tooth front sprocket on a warrior with the big 3 ?!?