Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV Won't go over 30mph after mudding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Won't go over 30mph after mudding?

Hey everyone, I'm new here and the name is Jeremy. Just had a question I would like to hopefully get solved.

The other day a group of friends and I went riding and we usually go into some deep mud holes but nothing bad, I went into one that just went a little above my front tires and what not; however, I got stuck and needed to be pulled out.

Upon my brother pulling me out I notice that I can't go forward or reverse right away. I see the water draining from where the belt is and after about a minute, I was good to go back to normal. On the way home I notice I could do 20mph like normal but trying to get up to 30-35mph it felt like my machine was straining and sounding like it was going 60mph, very loud.

I own a 2007 Yamaha Wolverine 450 Special Edition. When I got home today I took belt cover off and the belt is still like new, no water or muck in the inside, wasn't sure what else to look for. We cleaned the air filter and it stills seems to do it? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

Jeremy

Old 07-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Your belt was probably wet and slipping. It could have burnt the belt up trying to drive it while it was wet. It doesn't take much to burn these belts up because it's the width of the belt that matters and just a few fractions of an inch less and they won't work properly. I have gotten 2 belts wet on my RZR and ended up burning them up trying to get out of the creeks that I was in. I installed a snorkel and haven't gotten a belt wet since.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Raptor450
Your belt was probably wet and slipping. It could have burnt the belt up trying to drive it while it was wet. It doesn't take much to burn these belts up because it's the width of the belt that matters and just a few fractions of an inch less and they won't work properly. I have gotten 2 belts wet on my RZR and ended up burning them up trying to get out of the creeks that I was in. I installed a snorkel and haven't gotten a belt wet since.
So are you suggesting I should just buy a new belt? One thing I did notice when I had the belt cover off that I forgot to point out that there was a big pocket of grease on the cover itself. Not over anything but just in a bottom corner. Wasn't exactly sure what that may of come from that was 'suppose' to be greased up. I can take pictures tomorrow after work and post them on here.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MurtherX
So are you suggesting I should just buy a new belt? One thing I did notice when I had the belt cover off that I forgot to point out that there was a big pocket of grease on the cover itself. Not over anything but just in a bottom corner. Wasn't exactly sure what that may of come from that was 'suppose' to be greased up. I can take pictures tomorrow after work and post them on here.
Overall, I would try a new belt and make sure the pulleys are clean and dry. Another thing you might do, if it runs okay after cleaning it out is to seal the CVT cover with some silicone caulking in the groove the cover fits into.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Originally Posted by MurtherX
Yes, it sounds like you need a new belt. In the future, if you get your belt wet again, try not to drive your atv until the belt is dry, or it may burn it up again. I'm not sure about on the Wolverine, but my Polaris manual says if you get the belt wet on the RZR, to drain the water out of the cover, then put the atv in nuetral and let the engine idle for a while and the heat wil help dry it out.

The grease is probably nothing, I would clean it off so it doesn't get on the belt and pulleys.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, as I went to take everything off I noticed this....

The boot isn't on it and looks like dirt and mud inside. I know not a whole lot about four wheelers but I'm guessing that should be sealed and should have grease in the inside?

Perhaps this is my problem? What exactly is that called down there?

http://tinypic.com/r/f2t402/8