Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2004 wolverine carb idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 wolverine carb idle issues

Hello,

I ve recently purchased a 2004 Wolverine. The atv is in generally good condition; however, it was not starting well and once I got it running it would not idle.

I tore carb apart, cleaned all the jets, blew out all passages and reassembled it. The carb was pretty gunked up but cleaned up perfectly. I did find a tiny tear in the slide diaphragm. Also, I did not know what standard air screw setting was so I seated it and turned it out 2.25 turns. I ve checked all boots and seals to engine and air box and everything is tight. Stock filter and box. I gapped plug to .07 and filter was cleaned, oil and greased.

The result was a bike that starts easily with choke all the way out. Once bike is warm, bike will start without choke but bike won't run without giving more throttle. Still won't idle. Throttle response is good but will hold on to its rev for just a fraction of a moment before coming back down and I suspect this is from the tear in the diaphragm.

My question for you carb experts is that will the diaphragm cause the idle issue too? OR is there something with the choke plunger I could have missed as I did not disassemble this?

A new slide/diaphragm is 100.00 and I don't want to buy this if I am missing something else.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I never alter the slow running mixture screw on a quad, they are set at the factory and don't need altering unless a performance cam, exhaust or air filter is fitted, and probably not then. You will need to re-set the throttle stop then fiddle with the mixture screw until you get the highest revs at idle. It will never run right with a perforated diaphragm either, you may get away with superglueing the hole up. There is a firm that makes new diaphragms for quads, they are linked to from some old postings on this forum.