Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yama Breeze running rough / spark issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yama Breeze running rough / spark issue

OK I started a new thread because I have diagnosed the problem a little more and I think I'm heading in a different direction.

Here's the problem...
-The quad idles OK, but once you hold the throttle open a little it runs rough, stumbles, and if you hit the throttle to 1/2 quickly it falls right on its face and dies. After about a minute of holding it at 1/4 throttle it will stall out (it surges up and down a bit if you hold the throttle steady). When it stalls out, IT LOOSES SPARK (I pull the boot right off the plug and use a test plug on the cylinder fins and find no spark). As soon as I either turn the key off/on, or turn the engine stop switch to stop / run, it instantly gets spark back and will fire back up. Then again, after a minute or two it will do the same thing and the cycle continues.

When it runs it appears to be a tad smokey, and smells like a poorly tuned engine.

Ive got a new ignition coil and CDI box in it and the trigger coil is ohming out around 260. The spark appears to be a little weak (not a big blue spark, rather a little blue/white spark). Ive inspected the stator for cleanliness and it appears to be in good shape.

Any ideas?