Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1999? Yamaha Wolverine 350cc 4x4 Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
pHOTO 27 IS THE oRINGS WE HAVE MENTION
Ok perfect, might as well order two part #27 in the photo for both covers. And I'll clean it right up and hope the problem is solved!

Then to rebuild me starter....currently it is pull start only.

Did I mention my "new" bike is in need of some TLC?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Looks like its not the head gasket but just the valve gasket. If you change it you might as well check you or adjust your valve clearances while you at it. Its not a big job on those motors. Here is a Video on it. Its a 3 part Video (Exhaust) and this is part 3, Part 2 is the (intake) Bottom vid.

Different year ATV but same motor.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
Looks like its not the head gasket but just the valve gasket. If you change it you might as well cheack you or adjust you valve clearances while you at it. Its not a big job on those motors. Here is a Video on it. Its a 3 part Video (Exhaust) and this is part 3, Part 2 is the (intake) Bottom vid.

Different year ATV but same motor.
Thanks so much, I'll watch these when I get home.

I was about to ask whether or not the gas tank should be removed prior to trying to do this task, etc...but I'm guessing most of my questions will be answered in the videos.

I just found my feeler gauges last night, so I plan on ensuring proper valve clearance. Which I need to find online somewhere...the manual I have says:

"Valve clearance adjustment: The correct valve clearance changes with use, resulting in improper fuel/air supply or engine noise. To prevent this, the valve clearance must be adjusted regularly. This adjustment however, should be left to a professional Yamaha service technician." lol

Old 01-27-2015, 01:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I was about to ask whether or not the gas tank should be removed prior to trying to do this task, etc...but I'm guessing most of my questions will be answered in the videos.
The above Video is a different year 350 then yours so you may not need to remove gas tank. The older wolverines were much more wide open to work on.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
The above Video is a different year 350 then yours so you may not need to remove gas tank. The older wolverines were much more wide open to work on.
I think so I can completely clean the engine I'm going to take the tank off anyways. That will make it much easier in the end.

But it will be a couple days, just got back from the Yamaha dealer and they wanted $10 per 0-ring... going to order them online for $5 for both. So it'll be a bit until I get them in the mail, but that will give me some time to get the bike sparkling clean!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LittleSleeper
I think so I can completely clean the engine I'm going to take the tank off anyways. That will make it much easier in the end.

But it will be a couple days, just got back from the Yamaha dealer and they wanted $10 per 0-ring... going to order them online for $5 for both. So it'll be a bit until I get them in the mail, but that will give me some time to get the bike sparkling clean!
Well after trying all the different online sites for ordering these parts, the minimum shipping I could find to Canada was $30 which basically negates getting them online....ugh

So back to the Yamaha Dealer I go tomorrow to pick up all the new O-rings.

QUESTION: Does anyone know the size of the bolts/screws used to hold on the front/rear fenders? I'd like to get some without having to spend over $2 per bolt. Yes, if you haven't figured it out yet...I'm a little "thrifty"...some may say cheap.
I was forced to cut a couple of the heads off to move the front fenders forward in order to remove the gas tank.

I did successfully change the front diff fluid and the final drive fluid in the rear. So now to thoroughly clean the engine, install new O-rings, adjust the valves and change the engine oil!

Old 01-28-2015, 06:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I prefer "thrifty" lol. I've been accused of that too. I try to keep myself in check on spending even though I could spend a whole lot more. That's why I own a 2002 Honda Rancher that I paid $1400 for instead of a new Grizzly 700 that would have cost about 6 times as much. I honestly don't get to ride much anymore and a few places I used to go riders are not welcome anymore so I just can't justify spending a ton of money on something that I won't put a lot of miles on anyway. I find myself discussing the sport more than actually participating. I'm waiting for warmer weather too, ready to travel a bit this year to explore some new riding areas.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:08 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
I prefer "thrifty" lol. I've been accused of that too. I try to keep myself in check on spending even though I could spend a whole lot more. That's why I own a 2002 Honda Rancher that I paid $1400 for instead of a new Grizzly 700 that would have cost about 6 times as much. I honestly don't get to ride much anymore and a few places I used to go riders are not welcome anymore so I just can't justify spending a ton of money on something that I won't put a lot of miles on anyway. I find myself discussing the sport more than actually participating. I'm waiting for warmer weather too, ready to travel a bit this year to explore some new riding areas.
Haha yep, I hear ya! Paid $1500 for this bad boy which is a lot less than "the old ball and chain" paid for her wedding dress...but that is another issue completely

Anyways tonight I have hockey so I won't make it to the Yamaha dealer before they close, but I'm going to get those front fenders off tonight if I have to cut them off. I have the last two bolts soaking in penetrating oil, but then I should be able to move the front fenders forward enough to get my gas tank out.

Then the thorough engine cleaning begins. The bike is very dirty/greasy and it doesn't look like much regular maintenance has been done on it.

I replaced the final drive fluid last night. Very chocolate milky colour and not much fluid at all in there. The front diff fluid didn't look TOO bad but changed it anyways.

Then replace O-rings for the cam/valve covers and breather and ensure proper clearance for the valves. Then replace with new engine oil.

Lets hope that is all I need to do. When I was under it last night I noticed oil at the bottom of the boot exiting the rear of the engine. Hopefully that is just runoff from the other leaks I'm dealing with.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:19 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

$1500 for a 4x4 in Canada is a great price, how many kilometres on it? The selectable 2wd/4wd kit is a bonus.
Just go to a hardware and buy and nuts, bolts and washers that will do the trick. They do not need to be Yamaha's self tapping screws.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
$1500 for a 4x4 in Canada is a great price, how many kilometres on it? The selectable 2wd/4wd kit is a bonus.
Just go to a hardware and buy and nuts, bolts and washers that will do the trick. They do not need to be Yamaha's self tapping screws.
Ya I was pleased, I have been looking for awhile and hadn't stumbled on a 4x4 for less than $2000...and even those were in quite rough shape.

Ya, I am not sure of the exact size of some of the bolts but my dad has buckets upon buckets of nuts/bolts in his garage that I will root through to find something that will work.

Unsure of the kms/hrs as it does not have any sort of display on the bike. Just Neutral/Oil Temp/Reverse lights...which none currently work...next issue I'll be addressing after the oil issue is taken care of!

Quick Reply: 1999? Yamaha Wolverine 350cc 4x4 Help