Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1999? Yamaha Wolverine 350cc 4x4 Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have replaced the O-ring and adjusted the intake valve, but I have badly stripped two of the hex head bolts on the exhaust valve cover and am running out of available options.

I am either going to buy an easy-out kit, or but a head for my dremel tool to cut the top of the bolt to a flat head for a screwdriver. Vise grips won't grab on and the inside is nearly circular now.

I replaced the air adjustment screw and the pilot jet, as well as the o-ring for the float bowl as they all looked tired.

Now I notice when putting the carb back on that the intake boot (joint from carb to engine) has a crack in it. It may not be problematic but I would like to replace it now while I have it tore apart. Question, do I need to buy the whole joint, steel part included or can I just get the rubber part by itself? Do they come apart? Or would I be ok just using some epoxy for now to seal this up?
The crack isn't huge, the atv was running well prior to this maintenance tear down.
Thanks!

Old 02-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not cheap,but if it's a small crack,doesn't go all the way through,I'd seal it up with rubber cement or something that would hold. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Not cheap,but if it's a small crack,doesn't go all the way through,I'd seal it up with rubber cement or something that would hold. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Thanks OPT, I used some contact cement I had laying around. I put a couple coats on it, and it looks nicely sealed...for now.

I'm also a little concerned with the amount of carbon buildup I can see when looking in the spark plug hole.

I am going to pick up some Sea Foam tomorrow to mix with my gas and mix with my oil for a little while before I change the oil and filter.

Hex head bolts won't even come out with Torx bits, they feel like they are welded in there!! Taking my bike to my neighbour who is a mechanic and maybe he has a tool or a trick to get the bolts out.

This bike is just so dirty and greasy, makes working on it a mess! I can't wait until it warms up here so I can actually give it a good clean. -16 Celsius isn't exactly nice weather to be washing an ATV in.
1999? Yamaha Wolverine 350cc 4x4 Help-rwws9vc.jpg

Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 AM
Trailblazer

UPDATE:

So I ran the bike for a bit the other day, starts, idles, and revs almost flawlessly.

However now I notice a fairly steady drip of oil out of where the exhaust connects to the engine.

So I ordered the gasket that should seal this connection, I read that sometimes these nuts just come loose but figured I'd replace the gasket as general maintenance.

I also took a look under the bike, and it looks as though some oil is sitting around the drain plug and the boot at the rear of the engine. I have read that this has been an issue for many and it looks like quite a PITA to replace so I'm hoping this just ran down from the exhaust but that is probably not the case.

I have a lot of time this weekend as the wife is gone to see her family out of town so I'll have some garage time. Should I go ahead and tackle the rear oil seal where the yoke comes out or will getting that u-joint out be a huge task? (I've never removed/reinstalled a u-joint before, and all the reading and videos I've seen do not make it look like an easy task).

I made sure my breather tube isn't plugged because I know that can cause leaks with the internal oil pressure, but maybe I'll check again to make sure it didn't get pinched upon putting the bike back together.

Any tips would be appreciated, I've had the bike for awhile now and haven't been able to use it!

Luckily, we have about 4 feet of snow right now so I wouldn't be getting too far with it regardless.

Thanks guys!

EDIT:
Would part number 13 be the one I would need?
http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemp...dle-drive-gear