Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My ytm 225dx electric starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 02:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My ytm 225dx electric starting problems

hi, I'm having problems with x2 Yamaha ytm 225DX's, so my parents bought two ytm 225 that run and 3 skeletons to part out for $800. I'm gunna start with "my" trike.

My trike has a 95% shot battery, it keeps voltage for about 30 mins or so after riding from the stator. And I have to pull the recoil starter to get the bike running. The recoil starter is really hard to pull ( the other trike that runs is easy to pull start) and at one point the recoil got stuck and wouldn't retract in to the coil. So we push started it down a hill and the recoil retracted back in to the coil and has still been hard to pull ever since. So after ridding the other day, I went to put my trike up and I saw that the neutral light was very dim, so of course the stator gave the battery a little bit of power. And I thought "what the hell?" And I pushed the electric start button and the neutral light went out. When I let off the switch, the light was dim again. So I hooked it up to the car charger and set it on fast start. the light wouldn't get any brighter and it was really dim, so I started the trike using the recoil starter and in about 3-5 seconds the light was super bright. So I killed the engine and tried to start it using the electric start and it started the trike. Then I killed it and tried it again but the light went out. So after fiddling with it for about 30 mins I found out that the light will only light up if the battery charger is on it and the trike is started by the recoil starter. it acts like the battery charger isn't even charging it. I looked and fiddle with the wiring in the trike but got no where.

Hope you have some ideas and tips and can help me get the electric start working for hunting this year P.S. the other running trike is doing the same thing

Thanks, Cody