Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What are these two ATVs $800 apart?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:17 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these two ATVs $800 apart?

700 Kodiak SE (Black one) 700 Grizzly (Blue one) why is the Grizzly $800 more?

2016 Yamaha Grizzly EPS Steel Blue ATVs The only difference I see is 26" vs 25" tires, LED head lights and half a inch more "front only" suspension travel for the Grizzly.

But the Kodiak SE has nicer looking and lighter alloy Rims (Not cheap) vs the Grizzly's plain jane steel rims which are cheap.

I think the "base eps" Grizzly will not be around for long with the "loaded" Kodiak around.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the Grizzly 700 is about to be replaced with a v-twin model. I believe the Wolverine is getting a v-twin too. Honda just released the Pioneer 1000, Yamaha is about to come up with something big too.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess that doesn't really explain the 2016 models. Yes, it seems like a no-brainer to buy the Kodiak version over the Grizzly version, appears to be a much better value. There's probably more subtle differences that must be felt to be noticed that can't be seen in a spec sheet. Many may still prefer the Grizzly even though it costs more. You'd have to try out both to be able to tell.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:48 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Your Question Has Been Answered By Our Editors

We've answered your question on the ATV Connection homepage, which can be accessed directly here:

Ask the Editors: What Sets These Two Yamahas $800 apart? - ATVConnection.com

Rather than speculate, we let Yamaha's Travis Hollins do his best to explain the reason both of these two machines exist on the same line this year.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This video doesn't really explain anything. They're comparing the base Kodiak with the Grizzly not the Special Edition Kodiak with the nicer wheels and EPS and diff-lock. The price difference is even greater there. In fact I think that's the Special Edition Grizzly which has the nicer wheels and costs even more, $10,299 retail or $1400 more than the SE Kodiak which has the same features or over $3000 more than the base Kodiak. I guess the chassis for the Kodiak is slightly smaller than the Grizzly, they did mention that. The Grizzly has more aggressive clutching in the transmission so it probably feels like it has more power. That's the only thing that really makes it better. Not $1400 better though or $3000 better than the plain-jane base Kodiak model. You can almost buy a Grizzly 300 along with the base Kodiak 700 for the price of the SE Grizzly alone.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This link may help to give a better understanding of the differences:ATV.com - 2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 Preview

Towards the bottom of that link there is a column side by side of the known specs.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Basically the main difference between the Grizzly and Kodiak is the sealed wet brakes on the Kodiak which offer slightly less stopping power than the Grizzly's brakes but better protection from the elements and lower maintenance(an advantage if you ask me)and mellower clutching which gives the Kodiak less bottom end power. The 2nd one is the one that buyers will notice immediately when they test ride both machines. The lower seat height might be important to some but isn't really that big of a deal. The quicker Grizzly will entice many buyers to pay extra to get it. Or just wait until next year when the v-twin Grizzly comes out that will blow away the current model. I would think with the new 708cc engine taking the place of the old 686cc engine, the older 2014 and 2015 models will eventually be heavily discounted to get rid of all of them to make room for these new 2016 models. Those will be the real bargains.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

What's this V-twin grizzly you keep mentioning Greg? Lol I do know that yamaha is releasing a new sport SxS this September because yamaha put a teaser video out of it blowing away a RZR but I haven't heard anything about a new grizz.

Rumor is that the new yammy SXS will be packing a little bit more than a V-twin too, possibly a 3-4 cylinder snowmobile or street bike engine..... We will see

Old 06-30-2015, 12:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't really know for sure that Yamaha will have a v-twin Grizzly. If they're going to build an all-out pure sport Wolverine then it makes sense that they will up the hp in the Grizzly. The 708cc Kodiak and Grizzly models to me appears to be only a bridge to a high performance Grizzly. I don't have any inside knowledge lol. I don't work for Yamaha lol. I could be wrong but it would seem like it has to come. Other than subtle changes and a modest increase in power, the Grizzly 700 is basicaly unchanged since it was introduced in 2007. Even Honda just released a 1000cc side by side. Yamaha can't allow themselves to fall behind Honda in performance now can they?

Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I was comparing a "base" eps Grizzly to a "loaded" SE Kodiak, the video is comparing a "loaded" Grizzly to a "base" Kodiak.

The base Grizzly does not have nice rims like the one in the video.

The SE Kodiak vs the base Kodiak has many differences.
-Diff lock
-On command push button 4wd not mechanical have to stop shifter.
-Adjustable pre load suspension the base is non adjustable.
-High end alloy rim. The base Grizzly and Kodiak both have plain steel rims.

http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...2=478298&go=Go odd the Kodiak is lower yet has the same ground clearance, only difference is because of the tire size. 25 vs 26 . Must be due to seat foam?
They both have the same 4.76 Gal tank yet the Kodiak has storage compartment in the tank also

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are these two ATVs $800 apart?