Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Can someone explain how different size CVT weights impact engagment

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain how different size CVT weights impact engagment

So I was doing some reading on how the CVT weights on the new Kodiak 700 are about 18 grams whereas the weights on the Grizzly 700 are about 33 grams. My question is given that the Kodiak and the Grizzly have the same engine and drivetrain how would the lighter weights impact the CVT on Kodiak? And how would it make the Kodiak feel as compared to the Grizzly? I simply do not know enough about CVT to visualize this

Old 07-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually always thought lighter weights made for quicker and easier engagement. As the Grizzly claims more aggressive clutching, I guess this isn't always the case. I guess there is a "sweet spot" for maximum performance.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Oh dear, why do makers call variators "clutches" when they are not, at least not on Grizzly 550s, so almost certainly the 700 will be the same. They have standard centrifugal clutches like manual Hondas and old Yams. The variator rollers control at what revs, it changes up and down gears, light rollers and the machine seems low geared, heavy and it seems high geared.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

So if someone bought the 700 Kodiak but wanted the 700 Grizzly clutching it would be a cheap fix. clutch weights and springs do not cost that much. The springs are color coded for their stiffness.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
So if someone bought the 700 Kodiak but wanted the 700 Grizzly clutching it would be a cheap fix. clutch weights and springs do not cost that much. The springs are color coded for their stiffness.
That does seem like a easy swap. That sounds too easy though. For probably under $100 you could change out the clutch weights. The Grizzly probably has a thicker cvt belt as well as different pulleys. So you'd need to change those out as well. It probably is geared different too. But simply changing the clutch weights and springs would definitely give you a performance boost, just wouldn't be all that would be necessary to make it equal to the Grizzly.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Can't weigh up this idea of changing rollers giving a "performance boost". I've just rebuilt an Eiger Variator, the belt box was full of oil and the front nut had come loose, luckily only damaging the grease seal on the outboard bearing. With new seals all round, a new belt and the oil cleaned away, it runs fine but is particularly low geared (all Eiger Autos are) and you just sit there with it reving away and not going very fast. There must be a "sweet spot" for roller weights and springs where the bike changes up at the perfect time, The Grizzly 550 is about right as are the Suzuki 450 to 750s.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:13 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The Grizzly probably has a thicker cvt belt as well as different pulleys. So you'd need to change those out as well.
I looked it up they use the same belt and Primary/Secondary clutches. They even have the same spring Part# 90501-650A0-00 .Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse The 700 Grizzly is under 2015 for some reason while the Kodiak is 2016.

Only difference part number is the $6 weights between the two.
Cam is even the same part number.

To expensive production wise for Yamaha to make two separate clutches for the same motor.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like buy a Kodiak and change the clutch weights might be a viable option then. Maybe someone will do that on here and give us the inside scoop.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The thing about weights and clutching is you take one from the other. If heavier weights have a advantage some where then lighter weights will have a advantage in a other place in the power band.

People who clutch for oversized mud tires but then return to normal size tires often re-clutch once again.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The difference we're talking about here might not really be that great in the first place. The Kodiak 700 still has the same 48hp 708cc engine. Even with slightly less aggressive clutching than the Grizzly, I bet it still has plenty of low end thump. You'd have to ride both machines to really know the difference. Its not something you can quantify by reading about, you have to get a seat of the pants experience to know for yourself.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain how different size CVT weights impact engagment