Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

carb hose ID, needle settings?

Old 07-18-2015, 07:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb hose ID, needle settings?

I finally got my breeze to start, but as soon as I close the choke it shuts off.

I have cleaned the carb.

If anyone knows of factory needle settings, that would be great.

And, I have a hose that is blocked off with a screw. What is that hose for? There are only 2 hoses...the fuel line and a short piece of hose with a screw blocking it off (I cant post pics yet)

Also, I got the bike without the airbox. Will running it without the airbox cause it to run lean? I know a airbox will create some restriction, but would it really be enough to make the engine run lean and not run without the choke on?

Old 07-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried taking the screw out of that hose, no change.

so I pulled the carb again and cleaned it again. Now it wants to try and stay running with the choke off...but still dies after 15-20 seconds.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Try to restrict the air flow some and see if this will richin up any at all...Yes no air filter or airbox assy. can cause an very lean mixture

Old 07-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did end up putting a big square air filter in front of the carb (filter off a snow blower engine) and that along with cleaning the carb got it to run for 15-20 seconds after I close the choke. It also will rev up if I press the gas...before it would bog right down and want to stall if I gave it any gas.
Im going to try and clean it once more, and then fiddle with the needles...im pretty sure it isn't getting enough fuel still.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found some stock needle settings online...1.5 turns out on pilot and throttle stop screw. I know I have both further out than that.
I also added a filter to the fuel line.
Now it will start with a bit of choke, and stay running with the choke off but it idles much too high. Any attempts to lower the idle with the stop screw will lower the engine speed, but only for a few seconds, then it revs back up again.

At this point I am thinking I might have no choice but to get a carb rebuild kit. I suspect air is getting in where it shouldn't...thus leaning the mixture and making it idle high. Would a leaking bowl gasket cause high idle speed?

This was the first time the engine stayed running for longer than 20 seconds, and the idle was high and I noticed it did smoke a bit. Not sure if that is a bad sign, or if it is just because the engine hasn't been run in a long time.

With the engine idling high, I can give it throttle and it responds as it should. Doesn't seem to hesitate. Tho, that is in neutral with no load on it.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost civic
gain.

Would a leaking bowl gasket cause high idle speed?

Yes it can. Fuel level in the bowl could get too low for adequate pick up of fuel from the main jet.Can cause them to run lean and higher idle from this and a lean pilot jet. After all this trouble I'd break down and get a carb kit too. I wouldn't ever tear a carb down without replacing a kit. Hated pulling carbs more than one time.http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YFM125-YFA-1-BREEZE-CARBURETOR-REBUILD-KIT-89-06-CARB-REPAIR-KIT-/251018492237?hash=item3a71de394d&vxp=mtr

Old 07-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

If I hated pulling apart a carb, I'd be one angry SOB...cause Ive pulled this one off and apart over a dozen times now.

I nearly had success today. After doing some reading, I bought a welder nozzle cleaning kit and used it on the pilot jet. Even the smallest rod couldn't get through the pilot jet...there is a hole, I can see light through it. But this did seem to help, as now it will idle at a reasonable speed (maybe a bit low) without the choke on and it will go back to idle if I blip the throttle.

I thought I was all set, hopped on the quad and put it in gear....give it gas and it has no power and acts like it isn't getting fuel (that is my assumption anyway) It would surly stall if I kept on the gas. Let go and it will return to idle.

Yesterday...when it would not idle, I did drive it just a bit...I could keep it from stalling with the throttle. At that time, it had power and seemed OK when giving it throttle.

No idea what happened between yesterday and today that is causing this new issue.

But, it CAN idle and it CAN have power....just it seems not at the same time. Pretty sure that all points to the carb as being the issue.