Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

fix trans/engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fix trans/engine swap

I just took an 01 bear tracker on a trade and the machine itself is very nice. The previous owner obviously took great care of it, the only problem is 2nd 3rd and 4th gear are out. They just grind and the atv shakes. I've tried adjusting the screw on the right but it didn't help at all. So I contacted a local shop and they quoted me 850 to fix it, and I decided to do it myself to save some money. But my question is how much easier is it to buy a used but warranties bottom end and swap it in than to rebuild the transmission? The current engine runs perfect but I'm worried if I tear it all the way down I'll never get it back together. Thanks for any advice

Old 08-11-2015, 03:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Gearbox rebuilds are about the biggest job you can do on a Quad, and are best left to skilled mechanics. However your chances of getting a used "bottom end" are slim, most breakers want to sell a "decent" engine as a unit, though you could get lucky as they would sell one cheaper if "it smokes a bit." You would also need to buy a head gasket set, if you were changing cylinders, so you wouldn't save much, for a lot of extra work.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I was worried it may be a handful. If I choose the engine swap rout are there any 2 stroke options available? Or larger 4 strokes that will fit?

Old 08-11-2015, 07:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, its probably going to be easier to just sell the quad as it is and just buy something else. An 01 beartracker is a $1000 quad in good condition. You can probably get $300-$400 out of it the way it is. The statement that the machine is very nice but the clutch is shot seems to contradict itself. It might look great but obviously its not mechanically sound. Its just not worth spending the time and money to fix. You'll never get your money back.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not interested in getting my money back. I actually just found a different shop that is going to rebuild the whole trans and put new seals and gaskets on the engine, which I'm sure you'd have to do anyway, for a little over 500. The way I see it, since I didn't really pay anything for it, if I pay 500 to have it rebuilt and everything else is nice, it has brand new brakes, tires, suspension, body is clean and the racks are in good shape, I'd be better off than selling it for 400, adding 500, and trying to find a qaud that doesn't have any problems for 900. I understand it's not a very valuable model, but I'm building it/fixing it for myself, not for resale value. I'm just trying to find the best option to get it going.