Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

purchase moto 4 or big bear question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Big Bear is about as tough as any atv ever made. Very torquey engine. Not very fast(probably about 45 mph) but a real workhorse.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a chance to test ride the big bear.
It is also going to need a muffler.
I seemed to shift hard. Is their an adjustment in the shifting on it. I had a honda an I don t remember it shifting like that.
The plastic is light pink working on white. Do you think it can be brought back to like or would it need to be painted?
I an at $1136.25 out the door.
What's your thoughts?

Old 09-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

my big bear 350 was a little clunky shifting but it had many hard hrs on it. did bearings in the front a couple of times. other than that it was bullitproof. sold it still pluggin along, it was time for me to upgrade. prep is the key to painting plastic. no coming back from red to white. take your time sanding and look into flex seal colors, flexible and easy to use if you are a novice to painting. if you can't already tell, my vote is go big bear IMHO.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:56 PM
Range Rover

I also found
2003 Suzuki ozark 4x2 needs a little work for $500 and a 2003 Honda Recon ES , 2x4 , 250cc for $1k
I am still leaning towards the big bear. I do like hondas but bigger motor and 4x4 would be nice. also remember reading bad stuff about the ES on the hondas.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:02 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Both my Big Bear and 250 Moto4 were stiff to shift even with boots on. I changed the oil from conventional to Synthetic and the shifting was mush smoother ,I could even shift with sandals on.

Unless you need 4x4 for work or have very difficult trails a 250 2wd will go any where as quickly as 350 Big Bear.

I rode with a 250 2wd Moto4 and he kept up on the trail no problem and on the strait dirt rods he hit 45mph just like my 350 4x4 does.

On our tight rough narrow twisty (20mph tops and not for long) trails a 800 Outlander can not go any quicker then a 250.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have ridden many different foot shift quads. The Recon and Ozark did require a bit of effort to shift, very stiff. The Timberwolf, very similar to the Moto4, was very easy to shift. It took very little effort to change gears. I had a Rancher 350 ES up until a few months ago and I had no problems with the ES working. It shifted every time and it was a 2002 model. Just make sure you put the machine in neutral before you shut it off or you'll have a tough time starting it again. It will only start in neutral and you have to turn the key off and on several times to downshift if you leave it in gear, it only gives you a few seconds to do so each time. I found this out the hard way as I left the gas off and it died in 3rd gear. At least they have a manual parking brake to lock the wheels whenever you need to transport it. The Ozark for $500 sounds intriguing though. It depends on what kind of work it needs. In good shape thats a $1200 quad. But buying something that needs work right off the bat is a bit of a gamble. It might be a $200 fix or it might be $1000 or more.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I've never known paint to stick on Quad plastics if they are used, rather than show exhibits. There may be some that has enough give not to crack on the very flexible plastic of an ATV but the surface, even if roughened, doesn't lend itself to making a good key.

For towing, snow ploughing and slippery surfaces, four wheel drive is needed, so the choice of two or four WD is down to how you intend to use it.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Range Rover

The Ozark smokes. He said it does not clear up. He think oil is getting pat the rings. So it is out. I do not have the tool to overhaul it or the knowledge.
The big bear was in gear. I had to rock it back and fourth to get it in neutral. The moto 4 shifted great. I was expceting the big bear to shift like that. I will go back and try the big bear again. It shifted hard and it seemed like I have to pause after letting off the gas for it to shift.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default MOTO 4 question? First time owner...

I bought an 86 MOTO 4 225 Yamaha.. It seems to leak some oil high on the motor but there is no smoke at all. Any thoughts? Thanks, Networker.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Networker
I bought an 86 MOTO 4 225 Yamaha.. It seems to leak some oil high on the motor but there is no smoke at all. Any thoughts? Thanks, Networker.
I have one too. After a new carb, it's a great little quad.

Quick Reply: purchase moto 4 or big bear question