Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

In Need of Battery Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question In Need of Battery Advice...

Hey all
I'm having some issues with my battery in my 2005 Grizzly 660. It's not holding a charge, and even when "charged" it doesn't have enough juice to kick the motor over when it's cold. I have the Odyssey battery in it now that came with the quad when I bought it 3 years ago.
I've already replaced the starter relay and that wasn't the issue...also cleaned all connections. I'm pretty sure its the battery failing since whenever I use the winch to raise/lower the plow the lights dim to almost nothing.

Which replacement battery should I go with ? I am a big fan of cold cranking amps since I use the bike all year around and sometimes it's 0 degrees or colder. The factory battery only has about 230, I think...

Thanks !

Scott

Old 02-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraGT40
It's not holding a charge, and even when "charged" it doesn't have enough juice to kick the motor over when it's cold.
When you say charged do you mean from over night on a tender? Plus have you checked charging while it's running? If it's charging at least 14 volts meaning the regulator is good,possible the battery isn't able to hold a charge,may have a dead cell. If it isn't charging from the regulator that can just suck a battery dead in short time. Could be a charging system problem,if not,then I'd have the battery load tested after you do charge it over night.Load test can tell if it has an open cell and needs to be replaced anyway.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If that battery was already in the quad when you bought it 3 years ago, then its obviously even older than that. 4 years or so is a pretty good run for an atv battery. I have seen a few cases of them lasting longer than that but that's pretty much average or a little better. But especially with extra draw from the winch and auxilary lighting as I see in your pic, I'm sure your battery is toast. Sounds like the Odyssey battery had a pretty good run. I doubt any other battery would do any better. I'll keep that battery in mind when I need to replace mine.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

I wanna say its at least 5 years old. Charged it up and it's showing 12.5v more or less...When running all lights are bright, but putting a strain on it (winch) really drags it down. Even fully charged it's not turning the motor over, and even complains when jumping it with a booster pack. I'm sure the battery has had it...

Which battery should I go with that has higher CCA's than the stock battery ?

Old 02-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraGT40
I wanna say its at least 5 years old. Charged it up and it's showing 12.5v more or less...When running all lights are bright, but putting a strain on it (winch) really drags it down. Even fully charged it's not turning the motor over, and even complains when jumping it with a booster pack. I'm sure the battery has had it...

Which battery should I go with that has higher CCA's than the stock battery ?
Agree that it'd probably time to change the battery,but what is the reading back to the battery while at an idle? Charging correctly is what you need to check first. If it's good,then just have the battery load tested. It will show if the battery is up to snuff. More than likely a 5 year old battery will be weak and need to be replaced. Odyssey is a good battery. Probably wouldn't hurt to stay with the same one if this one shows weak.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, just ordered a BT-1000 off Amazon and it should be here Wednesday. I'll give it a shot...

Old 02-16-2016, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At more than 3 years battery, it definitely needs replacement. Update us when new battery arrived.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it lasted that long, I would have probably just bought the same battery. I assume this BT-1000 is also a good battery as well. I kinda did the same thing recently with a pair of work shoes. I wore out the previous pair but I liked them so much that I bought a new pair of the exact same shoes.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
If it lasted that long, I would have probably just bought the same battery. I assume this BT-1000 is also a good battery as well. I kinda did the same thing recently with a pair of work shoes. I wore out the previous pair but I liked them so much that I bought a new pair of the exact same shoes.
Well, I had issues with the Odyssey 545 when I bought the quad...Starts fine over 50-60 degrees or so, under 30 degrees and it didn't have the CCAs to kick it over. As far as the BT-1000, that's a battery load tester.
I plan on ordering up a battery this week, but I want to find one that'll fit AND have the most CCAs possible

Old 02-17-2016, 12:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've noticed my grizzly takes a little more effort to start when its cold. I think they are simply a little cold natured regardless of what battery you have. Mine takes a min or 2 to warm up with the choke on before it will run properly. It will still start when its colder it just doesn't do it as easily. At 50 degrees, its instant start up as soon as I hit the start button. I'm with you on having the most CCA's, thats usually the route I go when I buy a battery for anything.

Quick Reply: In Need of Battery Advice...