Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2008 Yamaha 450 grizzly won't change gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yammy
Anyone have any input my bike won't change gears I disconnected the shifter linkage and a can turn gear and shows all the light lighting low high neutral reverse park but stays in forward or wants to try and move forward in every gear. What can I do next any idea?

Then maybe you have a clutch problem....primary or secondary sheaves not releasing and keeping the belt tight. If not that, then I would suspect a tranny problem of some sort.....

Old 02-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

well I will go through that then. Do you think the actual changing of gears could be electrically? I know it shows the lights on the dash change from gear to gear but the transmission itself is just doin nothing.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

well I will go through that then. Do you think the actual changing of gears could be electrically? I know it shows the lights on the dash change from gear to gear but the transmission itself is just doin nothing.
No, the gear changing is via mechanical linkage...shifter....linkage...trans. However, on some Yammies, as was mentioned by others, the foot brake must be applied to achieve reverse. I do not know if that is a mechanical or electrical function because I have never experienced a problem with it. See in red....when you are doing this...the shift linkage is connected?

Old 02-25-2016, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

no I have the linkage disconnected as I thought that was the original problem been turning with pliers. wish I could figure out how to add pics

https://atvconnection.com/forums/att...1&d=1456418548

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Yamaha 450 grizzly won't change gears-071.jpg   2008 Yamaha 450 grizzly won't change gears-069.jpg  
Old 02-25-2016, 10:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

oh it worked

Old 02-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

oh it worked
So you re-assembled the linkage and it's now working? Keep in mind that if the engine is idling too high, shifting can be very difficult and....remember when going fron N to R, I'm fairly sure you must press the foot brake ( as others previously mentioned, floorboard brake ).

Old 02-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

no haha I was just referring to the pictures worked lol. it still doesn't shift gears.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

no haha I was just referring to the pictures worked lol. it still doesn't shift gears.
oops! At this point you might have a look at the clutches but...even if the sheaves are too tight ( keeping the belt tight ), with engine off, I would think you could still shift btwn the gears by rocking the ATV.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I even opened secondary all is good in there. So how do you get into the clutches? do you have to pull motor?

Old 02-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

I'm assuming this is a belt drive. The "dry" clutches are under the large black plastic cover on the side of the engine....I'm guessing there are about 8 bolts that holds the cover on. Once the cover is removed, you will see the drive and driven clutch as well as the drive belt. But before you go to that trouble, have you "googled" the issue you are having and read everything you can about it? I say this because I'm "guessing" you may have a clutch issue. I have never seen what you have been describing....tho I have worked on ATV's for many years.

Quick Reply: 2008 Yamaha 450 grizzly won't change gears