Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2008 Yamaha 450 grizzly won't change gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes had the clutch and secondary side open removed the secondary nothing apparent in here never touched the primary see pics

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Yamaha 450 grizzly won't change gears-067.jpg   2008 Yamaha 450 grizzly won't change gears-068.jpg   2008 Yamaha 450 grizzly won't change gears-060.jpg  
Old 02-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Can you turn the driven clutch by hand....or is the ATV still stuck in a forward gear? Here's some good reading for you, tho it may not provide your answer. One quick question, is it full of oil? was it ran low on oil? How did this all begin?
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...woes-help.html

Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes you can roll it forward and back turning the clutch. my daughter got stuck in the snow and it was making a weird grinding noise who knows how long she was driving with the noise lots of oil

Old 02-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Yammy
yes you can roll it forward and back turning the clutch. my daughter got stuck in the snow and it was making a weird grinding noise who knows how long she was driving with the noise lots of oil
What does lot's of oil mean? Not sure I can help you....could have damaged a tranny bearing, could have broken a gear. Did you read the thread that I attached? And again, I have never seen this particular problem on a Yammie. I recommend you join the "Grizzly" forum and indicate your problem there as no one on this forum has "jumped" in and given you any direction. I have never seen this particular problem but best guess is that your tranny is toast.....

Old 02-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
What does lot's of oil mean? Not sure I can help you....could have damaged a tranny bearing, could have broken a gear. Did you read the thread that I attached? And again, I have never seen this particular problem on a Yammie. I recommend you join the "Grizzly" forum and indicate your problem there as no one on this forum has "jumped" in and given you any direction. I have never seen this particular problem but best guess is that your tranny is toast.....

Well thanks for your help I do appreciate

Old 04-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Yamaha

Anyone have any input my bike won't change gears I disconnected the shifter linkage and a can turn gear and shows all the light lighting low high neutral reverse park but stays in forward or wants to try and move forward in every gear. What can I do next any idea?
Hello, I just got done dealing with the same thing with my quad. Try checking the gear selector cable, it may have snapped on you!

Old 04-28-2016, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider
Exclamation

Well thanks for your help I do appreciate
Ok first off sorry for the LATE reply - I do not frequent this message board as much as I used too...

Most likely I know what the problem is.... - Not good news for you my friend.. There is a 90% chance that your Low gear seized onto your main transmission shaft within the transmission. Which means you can't shift into high range, neutral or reverse right?

Read this Kodiak 450 Transmission Woes! HELP!! - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

Any question I am here to help as I fixed mine myself...

-Steve