Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg, she is in Alberta. Last time I went a US dollar was around .80 cent Canadian I think. Plus things were higher in Canada even with the exchange rate.

I was wondering if there would be a chance you wanted to push snow with it! If so a slightly bigger unit maybe better. Does pushing snow add a lot of extra stress to a machine? If so I would look one that had not been used for snow plowing. Someone else will have to answer that!!! You could also check dealers out for leftover new models. Maybe find a pretty good deal new!! I found a leftover Kymco 450i (same as an Arctic Cat Alterra 450i) a few hours away. Purchased it for $1400 below retail with taxes included. Has considerable more power than our Grizzly 450 and is FI.

Did you not like the 450 Grizzly? I started ours yesterday to ride with my grandson, probably hadn't been started in a couple of weeks or so, fired up first try. It will run 55mph if you hold it there long enough. Which is faster than anyone probably should go.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I will second that notion that the prices sound pretty high, In my area that is new machine price. I just looked at a few dealer ads in my area......8300 for a Polaris 570, and that is a new one, and claimes to be an out the door price. 2015 CanAm outlander 500, it says loaded for 7500 and it only has 44 miles on it. In your part of the country prices may be higher but 7500 for a machine that has 3000 miles on it sounds pretty high. It may be worth the drive to get out of town for your shopping.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer

Got that backwards, need to proof read a little better next time!! A Canadian dollar was worth .80 US last time I went.

A dealer called Blackfoot has several Suzuki 750 atv leftover. They are advertising them for $7200 plus freight and taxes. If that interested you I would call and see that they still have them. Then offer them $7500 total out the door. New unit and a 750.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dezldog1
Thnx Kymco 460i
This is my first quad and have not driven anything other than my partners 2011 CanAm 650 outlander...I find it very comfortable but out of my price range...he is not a speed demon but likes the power if needed...
I a 64 year old female only interested in a safe comfortable pleasurable ride...may need to keep up with him for short distances one and a while but won't be the norm...
We live in north western Alberta Canada where there are really nice quad areas to ride..
I have no fear of quading but am very cautious just the same..I have only ridden on his property...flat and treed..... I am looking forward to venturing beyond the gate ..lol
Like you say, I need to find a comfortable machine..
I am looking ...really looking..
I sure appreciate everyone's input and the time you are sharing with me..
Thnx so very much
Regards
Jo..
There have been plenty recommendations for you...one thing I strongly recommend is really really thoroughly checking out the ATV in which your going to purchase.....Too often people sell things because of problems....and many times they know of the problems. Here's another rec for you, if you can afford it, and use the ATV enough, you might consider a new ATV. For me personally, I would never purchase new ( but I have purchased many many new ones when I was married, and had three kids at home....and making good money ), as the repair bills can add up very quickly if one has to pay someone else to do the work ( I do my own repairs and the parts cost alone can be ridiculous ). Anyway, you might want to consider purchasing a new one. Keep us posted on what you decide to do....

Old 03-13-2016, 02:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard that used machines are higher in Canada. The dollar exchange rate may have a little to do with it but I think they just are higher regardless of that. When someone is asking $7000 for a used machine, unless its an Outlander 1000, it still sounds too high for me. To pay that much, I'd expect something new. I was seeing leftover 2015 Grizzly 700 models with power steering being sold for close to that brand new around here. The King Quad 750 that Bratman was referring to would be a great deal at about that same price, the King Quad having about equal power, capability and comfort as the Grizzly 700, maybe even slightly more. A King Quad 750 would be an excellent choice. Buying used is always a bit of a gamble. I don't mind gambling on a used machine if the price is relatively low. Then if it needs repairs, the overall cost is still pretty low. If it gets close to the price of a new one, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. I would rather buy something new with a little less power for the same price. One you might also look at would be the 2016 Polaris Sportsman 450HO. It has the same 570cc engine as the Sportsman 570 but is tuned to make more low end power. It also costs quite a bit less. I know you didn't mention any other machines other than Yamaha and Can-Am but the 450HO is a great buy for a new 4x4 utility quad and offers great performance as well. You could buy a brand new machine with a warranty for the same price as these used machines. They are selling for $4999 plus fees at dealers around here NEW 2016 POALRIS 450 SPORTSMAN. Even with the Canadian markup, they still would be a great buy.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

WOW....Thank you EVERYBODY for all your time, information and advice...you are
awesome !!!!
I am reading, reading...pretty confused but still sure to buy the one that fits me best...
The cost here is TERRIBLE...no escaping it...they stick it to us up here for everything compared to USA....
BASE PRICE HERE FOR A 2015 700 GRIZZLY is about $ 9000.00 to $10.000.00
I see a CanAm 2010 ..1600 km. XRT....ASKING $6800.00 but is flexible...
So seems right now it's six of one thing and half dozen of another...
Each day I come here to see and read...
You all have been such a help ...thanks to you I am not rushing into this and making a huge mistake...I really am researching...around here Polaris is not big with ATV'S ...big with snow sleds tho.but am leaving my options open thanks to all of you...
The Grizzly 550 2012 we drove 5 hours to see was a dud...had been rolled ..wanted $6200.00
People lie...LOL
We still have to see the CanAm tonight ...still open to the Grizzly..
The cost for new is so high here ....really am hoping to find a great used machine....in ATV'S I know that's a BIG RISK...that's why I'm still looking ...
I feel horrible for not getting back here sooner to thank everyone for all your help and research for me....but have been on the go looking...traveling...at least today's is only an hour away...whew
I'm afraid even a quick trip over the border won't help know with our dollar SOOOO low..
I do wish to thank you all so much for hanging in with me and I again a
Opologize for my lack of participation lately...it feels so rude on my part...
Thank you all again
Hugs
Jo

Old 03-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Basically every new quad where you live goes for full retail price while down here in the U.S. there are usually discounts off that price. I'd still give the 2016 Sportsman 450HO a look, it sounds like it would have more than sufficient power and its basically one of the least expensive new utility 4x4 quads you can buy. I think the only other new 4x4 quad that costs about the same is a foot shift Honda Rancher 4x4 and the 450HO has quite a bit more power and of course is a cvt automatic machine. About $5000 new here 2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 New Atv Offroad 4x4, probably around $6000 new where you live. $6000 is full retail price.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked this morning ..for $6000.00 American it is $8015,41...
I will check out the Polaris here and let you know what I find..
Thank you again for everything you do..
Hugs
Jo

Old 03-15-2016, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

You will find the right ATV in time Jo. One smart thing you are doing is taking your time!!!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thnx Bratman...
I am trying to be patient...but oh my God...
It gets frustrating but I will continue to be patient...lol
For the record, the CanAm was a bust...my partner test drove it..
When he stopped to check the oil ....there was a fellow standing there...he said there's something wrong with your machine ..it stinks...Allen said the oil was grey in Colour....??
Not sure but don't think it was a good bet...������

Quick Reply: Advice please