Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please

Hi All,
My name is Jo-Ann. I am from Alberta Canada, and am new here...
I'm looking for advice on buying my first quad. I know very little about but them. I have narrowed it down between a 2009 Kodiak 450 and a 2007 Grizzly 700..
I am retired ...my partner has a 2011 CanAm 650... I would love to go quadding with him but not sure which quad would be better ...
The Kodiak is about $800.00 less expensive than the Grizzly 700..no biggy...
I am hoping you all would be kind enough to spare me some of your time and honest opinions...

Thanking you in advance
Jo

Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with the Grizzly because a Kodiak might not keep up with a Can-Am 650, but if you can only go 20 MPH down the trails it wouldn't matter. It all depends on where and how you ride.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Grizzly will ride better too along with the extra power. Does the Grizzly 700 have power steering? If it does, then you will definitely notice much easier steering. I think the Kodiak eventually got power steering too but not until later. I have rode a Grizzly 700 with power steering and its such a nice feature on a quad and Yamaha's eps is the best I think. I would have bought a Grizzly 700 this time but I couldn't find one for the money I wanted to spend so I went with the older Grizzly 660.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you guys so much for your time and advice..I am listening. I agree with you. I was just thinking about the Kodiak being smaller and a little easier on tight trails...but is it worth the trade off...would I really need PS on a 450 ?? NO EFI ..NO EPS...
Not likin that a lot for sure...oooohh Lordy...LOL

Old 03-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dezldog1
Thank you guys so much for your time and advice..I am listening. I agree with you. I was just thinking about the Kodiak being smaller and a little easier on tight trails...but is it worth the trade off...would I really need PS on a 450 ?? NO EFI ..NO EPS...
Not likin that a lot for sure...oooohh Lordy...LOL
I agree with what everyone has said, lot's of good opinions here . There are a few retired females that live near me, that ride, but ride around the lake bottoms and on their own property. One of them is 72 years old ( and catches more bass the the guys... ). Anyway, she as well as the others ride 400 to 450 cc ATV's, and none have the power steering. Do you need power steering? Not easy to say. If you plan on being in 4WD alot, and use the front "diff lock", then maybe you do need it. If your riding is going to be mostly casual on trials that don't often require 4WD ( and deep mud holes ), I would think the smaller, non power steering would work fine for you. Just my $0.02....

Old 03-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think once you ride both machines(if you haven't already) the extra power and comfort of the Grizzly will tip the scales in its favor. Yes the Kodiak is a little smaller but the Grizzly is still pretty manuverable. Power steering isn't essential but its nice to have. Its one of those things that you didn't know you needed until you experience it. I wish my 660 had it. Yamaha's system makes riding so much easier as even in 4x4 it doesn't take much effort to steer. It doesn't take all the effort away, just makes you feel really strong. EFI is nice too, no need to mess with a choke or having to deal with a machine that needs to be warmed up when cold. Again, Yamaha's EFI system works well.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx again everyone...I think tomorrow I will start checking machines out...
Starting with the grizzly 700....
You all have so good with sharing your time and advice.
I will keep this post up until I buy one or the other ����
Thnx again, take care all
Regards
Jo

Old 03-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer

The bigger the bike, the more harder it is on gas.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Looking at a 2012 Yamaha 550 with step up back seat...REALLY well kept 2000 km...
Blue and gorgeous..comes from a great home...����

Old 03-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I owned a Kawasaki Praire 300 for 16 years it had full time 4 wheel drive without any power steering. Never once did I have an issue with it in 16 yrs.
Then again I kept it in tip top condition. It topped out at 45 mph, plenty fast for this 65 yr old. Been to hatfield/McCoy on 3 occasions and never found a hill I couldn't climb. Never got it stuck but did have to pull others out on occasion. Recently moved into a side x side and sold my Praire. Now what I am trying to say here is...if you are looking for monster speed go with the big engines, if you are looking for general pleasure riding, anything in the 350-450 will give you plenty of power. Newer machines have the option of 2 or 4wd and that is a nice feature. Find a machine that you are comfortable on....you will be surprised at how some feel when you sit on them. Pick the machine that fits you and you will enjoy the riding much more. To me comfort is everything when on a trail.

Quick Reply: Advice please