Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Quad hasn't been used in over a year.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
^^^ Depends on several things. A persons knowlegde/ability to correctly clean a carb ( Primarily the various jets )....and this is an unknown ( to me ). Two more unknowns ( for me ) are the condition of the needle valve and bowl "O" ring ( age of ATV ). IMO, an inexpereinced builder will have "better luck" with installing the new parts and is taking a chance on many possible problems by "only cleaning" the carb and reusing the old parts.
Why do you think cleaning the carb should be good enough?
Good points.
Altho with the leaking by the needle issues lately by far have been ethanol related, and new needle/seats do nothing for that is why I questioned the kit.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LT80
Good points.
Altho with the leaking by the needle issues lately by far have been ethanol related, and new needle/seats do nothing for that is why I questioned the kit.
O-rings around the seat along with the viton needles that a lot of machines still use that can be deformed and eaten up by ethanol and just by sitting in un stabilized fuel..? Not understanding what you mean. Plus I've found a lot of black specs in fuel bowls(especially older carb models) where ethanol has been eating up the insides of fuel lines.

Attached Thumbnails Quad hasn't been used in over a year.-622-197vitonneedle_671.jpg  
Old 04-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
O-rings around the seat along with the viton needles that a lot of machines still use that can be deformed and eaten up by ethanol and just by sitting in un stabilized fuel..? Not understanding what you mean. Plus I've found a lot of black specs in fuel bowls(especially older carb models) where ethanol has been eating up the insides of fuel lines.
^^^^ I'm in agreement here as usaual.... Your a man of experience ( and I really respect that ). Last week I rebuilt 6 ATV carbs ( I had to label each container and waited for the kits to come in ), and there wasn't any damage to any of the rubber parts, except for age. Meaning deep rings around the needle valves, and "flat" bowl "O" rings from age. Two of those six did have "black specs" in the bowls, and one had a piece of black speck stuck between the needle valve and seat. From experience ( as yours ) I determined that the black pieces were fuel line, deteriorating but...I can't say for sure it was from Ethanol fuel, but may have been. Here at my shop, I replace the fuel line and, I do not rebuild and install a carb without installing new fuel line and a fuel filter....been bitten too many times.... Additionally, last Fall I rebuilt my Banshee carbs ( last rebuild was 10 years ago ), and I have only ran premium Ethanol fuel in the bike....but I did use Stabil and ran the machine every few months to circulate the fuel......when I tore them apart, they were spotless.... The needle valves had rings and had hardened...from age. I would recommend that one runs 100% fuel if they can but....circulating and stabilizing the fuel means everthing....End of my rant...ha, ha, ha....maybe

Old 04-10-2016, 04:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
....circulating and stabilizing the fuel means everything....
"Circulating" along with stabilizing.. Learned the hard way on this one myself on the old Honda before I sold it. Heat can evaporate fuel through the vent lines if sitting up and cause problems even if stabilized like I had to go through a couple years ago.. Just for 4 little pilot jets.. Carbs had to come off,pilot jets cleaned and synchronized. Glad I'm through working on carbs.. Here's some spotless carbs,but wouldn't idle after I let it set up because RA was flaring up over the months and wouldn't let me ride.Plus got lazy and didn't crank it up now and then like I had in the past..
https://atvconnection.com/forums/gen...-not-i-do.html

Old 04-10-2016, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider

"Circulating" along with stabilizing.. Learned the hard way on this one myself on the old Honda before I sold it. Heat can evaporate fuel through the vent lines if sitting up and cause problems even if stabilized like I had to go through a couple years ago.. Just for 4 little pilot jets.. Carbs had to come off,pilot jets cleaned and synchronized. Glad I'm through working on carbs.. Here's some spotless carbs,but wouldn't idle after I let it set up because RA was flaring up over the months and wouldn't let me ride.Plus got lazy and didn't crank it up now and then like I had in the past..
https://atvconnection.com/forums/gen...-not-i-do.html
Same thing happened to my son's 1976 Honda 550 four ( it had fresh carbs ). We put it up after adding Stabil and running it to ensure it was mixed well with the fuel. I kept getting onto my son, asking him to ride it or at least crank it every now and then......he didn't listen... About a year later he wanted to ride it, and I told him I was fairly sure it wouldn't run because he never did as I had suggested...to run the bike a little. Sure enough, he started it, and it ran on two...sometimes three cylinders ( choke on ) I told him he was on his own and I would not help with the carbs because he didn't listen to me....and the work was all on him... Well, I lied, ha, ha,ha. But I made hime pull the carbs, and I assisted "him" in the cleaning and building. Tiny pilots were stopped up. We re-learned a lesson here...again! What we should have done is add the Stabil, ensure it was well mixed with the fuel and then run the bike out of fuel by turning off the petcock if "storing" the bike for more than a month or two. Our lazziness, or distractions, or neglect cost us a good 3 to 4 hours of unneccessary labor ( and frustration ) .......we knew better

Old 04-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

All the "smilies" are blinding me...Got your drift though..

Old 04-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

All the "smilies" are blinding me...Got your drift though..
They make me laugh.....LOL, but at times, I may over use them a bit....

Old 04-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Same old story......you can take the time to do it right or you can keep redoing it until you learn to do it right. In my 66 years if there is one thing that I have learned is take the time, spend the extra to do it right the first time,.....or keep trying over and over and over, then after a while you will learn to do it right the first time. It just takes some longer to learn that, and yes I was one to learn the hard way. Yes on occasion we can get lucky with taking short cuts but in the long run you will find a short cut takes more time and money than doin it right to start with!

Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate all yalls feedback, but i haven't gotten around to it yet. I did manage to start the quad and it started without any problems. I also rode it around the neighborhood a bit. I notice most carb problems result in the quad not starting at all, Does this mean it's fine or should i still rebuild the carb? Im not really well educated in this so im sorry if it sounds a little ignorant

Old 04-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it starts good,runs good,no hesitation,doesn't leak,then just ride it and enjoy.. I'd still keep a good fuel stabilizer in the tank such as Stabil,Star Tron,etc and keep the battery on a tender to get more than one years use from one.