Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

need help with Raptor 660r

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with Raptor 660r

I just got a Raptor 660r. It was running the kid said and he traded it for an the guy he traded it to said he rode for like 5 mins and it stopped running. So Now i have it. It turns over but sounds like it isn't getting any fire what so ever. I changed the spark plug and checked to see if it was getting spark and it was getting spark. I even went and sprayed some starting fluid in each carb and it did nothing. sounded no different. I was thinking maybe the timing chain or belt not sure which is on this quad. But if anyone else has had this issue and could shine some light that would be great thanks. Also is there a easy way to check the timing chain or belt without having to take a bunch of things off?

If you could get with me asap that would be great thanks best to just text me on my cell at 937-477-2152 thanks. I am also looking for a pc5 for my 07 raptor 700r thanks and dual exhaust

Old 05-28-2016, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bigj6996
I just got a Raptor 660r. It was running the kid said and he traded it for an the guy he traded it to said he rode for like 5 mins and it stopped running. So Now i have it. It turns over but sounds like it isn't getting any fire what so ever. I changed the spark plug and checked to see if it was getting spark and it was getting spark. I even went and sprayed some starting fluid in each carb and it did nothing. sounded no different. I was thinking maybe the timing chain or belt not sure which is on this quad. But if anyone else has had this issue and could shine some light that would be great thanks. Also is there a easy way to check the timing chain or belt without having to take a bunch of things off?

If you could get with me asap that would be great thanks best to just text me on my cell at 937-477-2152 thanks. I am also looking for a pc5 for my 07 raptor 700r thanks and dual exhaust
The 660 has a timing chain....does not have a belt. If you are getting spark, then you either have a fuel delivery issue or a compression issue.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
The 660 has a timing chain....does not have a belt. If you are getting spark, then you either have a fuel delivery issue or a compression issue.
I checked the chain and it's turning and on. I see it spitting fuel but I know I took starter fluid and sprayed so.e in each carb. And it changed nothing on how it sounded as it was turning over. Does it mean that maybe a jet is clogged not sure. Thinking on doing a carb rebuild on it and see what's going on. How do I check the compression on the engine?

Old 05-30-2016, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

I checked the chain and it's turning and on. I see it spitting fuel but I know I took starter fluid and sprayed so.e in each carb. And it changed nothing on how it sounded as it was turning over. Does it mean that maybe a jet is clogged not sure. Thinking on doing a carb rebuild on it and see what's going on. How do I check the compression on the engine?
For starters, rebuild the carbs and install a new spark plug. Then give it a shot. As far as checking compression....you just need a compression tester which screws into the spark plug hole. Then give it wide open throttle while your turning the engine over.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default thanks for reply

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
For starters, rebuild the carbs and install a new spark plug. Then give it a shot. As far as checking compression....you just need a compression tester which screws into the spark plug hole. Then give it wide open throttle while your turning the engine over.
yes I checked to make sure it was getting spark with a brand new plug. just acts like it is getting no fuel what so ever.. So I am ordering in a carb rebuild kit and going to look up how to rebuild it. thanks for the info thanks

Old 05-30-2016, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

yes I checked to make sure it was getting spark with a brand new plug. just acts like it is getting no fuel what so ever.. So I am ordering in a carb rebuild kit and going to look up how to rebuild it. thanks for the info thanks
Look up some you tube videos....lots of good "how to's" on there.