Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The other yamaha build thread (Wolverine 350)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 07:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The other yamaha build thread (Wolverine 350)

So yeah it's not a raptor or anything but thought I would post this here as well since it seems as though it is at least a little more active.

I bought it last november not running for a pretty decent price. It's a 2004 with (allegedly) stage 1 hot cam, 366cc BBK, EPI clutch kit, K&N filter, and some other random stuff. I'm coming from sport quads (last bike was a 2003 Z400 with some decent mods) which I definitely like but I always liked playing in the mud a little and have wanted a sporty 4x4 that I could hit the trails with as well as play in the mud a little. After a lot of looking it came down to the scrambler 500 and the wolverine and lets just face it: Scramblers are ugly lol (no offense scrambler owners!). I ended up settling on the wolverine because it has more ground clearance, is more compact, is air cooled (simplicity), and weighs less.

So right after I got it I bought a battery, brakes, and a DG slip on. I really wanted the HMF slip on but I just couldn't justify the price. Long term plans include raptor 660 front shocks, 400 big bear engine swap or DIY 400cc stroker, and possibly a winch setup. Overall the goal is to have something decent for the tight trails as well as a little mud fun.

Attached Thumbnails The other yamaha build thread (Wolverine 350)-img_2926.png   The other yamaha build thread (Wolverine 350)-img_2927.png   The other yamaha build thread (Wolverine 350)-img_2928.png   The other yamaha build thread (Wolverine 350)-img_2930.png   The other yamaha build thread (Wolverine 350)-img_2931.png  

The following users liked this post:
FlawleZ (10-12-2021)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's been a slow first half of the year and due to work and school I haven't been able to dedicate much time to the wolf but have recently been able to spend a little more time in the shop.

So it turns out it needed a little more work than I anticipated. A couple of months ago I scored a detroit gearless locker on ebay. Well when I went to tear the diff down and the oil seals had failed and water had got into the diff and the oil coagulated or something and long story short when I was taking the lsd assembly off of the ring gear one of the bolts rung off. I finally got it fixed and was able to button the diff up this past weekend.

Finally back where it belongs (WITH NEW OEM OIL SEALS TO BOOT!!!)

And here's a pic showing the new ITP steel wheels and 25" zillas (wheeler is on jackstands that's why it looks funny). Overall this combo ended up being 8 lbs lighter than what was on there (stock steelies and some other kind of maxxis tire). You can also see the DG floorboards I also picked up off of ebay. They are actually for a big bear but bolt up just fine. The only modifications I've made are: had to fab up a linkage for the rear brake pedal because in it's stock position it would barely travel a couple of inches and hit the floorboard. I'll get some pics of that next week. I'm also going to have to notch the drive shaft cover as the floorboard crossmember runs right under the driveshaft.

Also changed the front pads and lubed one slide as it was seized. Installed some ODI grips I got for Christmas and re-jetted the carb.

When I get back to my shop I've got to:
- Change engine side u joint (changed diff side already)
- Re-bleed front brakes
- Change rear pads
- Change rear diff fluid
- Notch driveshaft cover

And just for poops and giggles I've attached a better pic of what she looked like when I first got her. She's come a long way bit still has a way to go. Once I get her in good running shape I'm going to try and restore the plastics a little. Remarkably they are not cracked anywhere just faded and oxidized a little.

Attached Thumbnails The other yamaha build thread (Wolverine 350)-img_0008.jpg  
Old 06-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lookin good! had a 450 wolf, what a riot to ride. have fun keep pics comin

Old 11-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

So my credit card hates me. I have been very fortunate thus far finding the more rare parts available for our Wolverines. So far I got the locker (which was actually for a kawasaki prairie btw), floor boards (for a big bear), and as of yesterday i bought a brand new 424 kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And honestly I really didn't want it. Maybe that will change after I use it but I'm kind of a simple guy and it seems like one more thing that has the potential to break. But w/e I'll give it a whirl. Everyone seems to rave about them and plus it would probably be a long time, if ever, that I had the opportunity to buy one.

I will post pics once I get it.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I have actually been able to hit the trails a couple of times over the last couple of weeks and managed to remember to snap some pics of the last ride so I thought I'd share.

Please don't make fun of these little baby holes lol......this is as bad as it gets on these public trails. Couple that with the fact that we haven't had a decent rain in forever and these little mud holes are even more pitiful than usual.....but, like I said, for these trails, this is about it.

First little hole I found. That rut in front of the wheeler is higher than it looks. I was getting high centered on the front depending on how I approached it.

Just a nice little mud puddle I found.....not really a big deal but I played in it for a little bit.

This little hole is usually full of water but because of the drought it was pretty dry so I gave it a whirl.

It doesn't look that bad but the left side of the exit is rutted out about twice as bad as the right and is pretty steep overall. I was honestly surprised I climbed out of it as easily as I did.

This is my favorite.

She made it with ease. Can't see how rutted out the exit is but she made it no problem.

Overall she did great and I hope to try her out on some trickier holes when the trails open back up in the spring.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Got my 12" light bar! Haven't done any night riding for a couple years but the price was right and the reviews were great.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Boom!

Old 10-08-2017, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Luv wolverines

Ive had 4, perfect balance between fast and work machines, before the $10,000 800 cc monsters. Do you still have it?

Old 10-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 424 kit on my Wolverine. I love it, it makes it so much more fun to ride.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

these atv's look better all muddy like that [not clean]

Quick Reply: The other yamaha build thread (Wolverine 350)