Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha big bear battery wiring help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha big bear battery wiring help.

Hey guys I am new to the forum. So I just picked up a 1988 yamaha big bear 350 the other day that is in need of some work. The previous owner said they were riding it elk hunting and it bogged down then died. And then wouldnt start back up. The guy said he brought it home and did some tearing into it, and it wasnt getting spark. So I picked it up knowing it had this issue and the wiring harness definitely needed some attention. I will start off were the battery hooks up to the bike. The battery and battery tray were not even there, main positive lead( at least Im pretty sure thats what it is) had the loop end cut off and was pretty short. Also the starter solenoid was hanging off to the side.One of the wires coming off of it has been cut also. Ill post some pictures I took today of the wiring stuff. So that it makes more sense. I am not super good with wiring so if anyone has a service manual, or know where I can find one that would be awesome. The other picture I will post is of how I think the wiring going to the battery should look. Let me know if I am close or if its right.

Attached Thumbnails Yamaha big bear battery wiring help.-img_1596.jpg   Yamaha big bear battery wiring help.-fullsizerender-1-.jpg  
Old 07-29-2016, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

No, the solenoid has four wires coming from it, the thick one to the starter, another thick one, on the other big terminal goes to the battery positive, and there should be two thin wires, the blue/white and, my guess is the thin red white to the other small terminal on the solenoid. To be sure of getting things right, you need a wiring diagram.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. I was able to find a wiring diagram this morning. So I'll be tearing into it and seeing if I can rewire the missing pieces.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

The problems you describe with the starter relay would cause the starter not to run. Fix that first, also checking the starter cutoff relay in back, then move to the CDI/coil where the spark comes from.
The Chiltons and tha Yama manual are very helpful diagnosing.

Good luck. Maybe a new harness from ebay might help.