Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Any Moto 4 gurus?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
If Yamaha did put the solenoid ground through the CDI, they would have a reason, such as the CDI needing a signal from the safety "lock outs" on brakes or gearbox before allowing the starter to get power. It could be that one of these lock outs, or a wire from it, isn't working so the CDI doesn't get the signal. A 13 wire CDI is so complex, you are best getting a workshop manual to check the system over properly, before buying new components.
I have. To the point I'm seeing double lol. The CDI is for sure receiving all the proper signals. It is not sending the signals such as ground to the starter solenoid relay and power to the coil. What I'm really looking for is how the source coil on the stator works and how the dual pickup coils work.

Does the source coil send AC voltage to the CDI as the flywheel spins around it? Since the pickup coils are two wire, does the CDI send DC or AC voltage in one wire and when the proper spot on the flywheel meets the pickup, does it then send power to the CDI telling it to spark. That's the info I need so that I can then create a stand alone harness for the bike that deletes all the far outdated unnecessaries.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The problem is, your stator/pickup coil set up is downright weird. Standard set up for AC CDIs is:- one phase of alternator wired into CDI, this provides the AC power. One wire from pickup coil to CDI (other wire earthed to engine), this provides the timing signal also AC. Some older systems have a separate alternator coil providing the AC power, which would explain the odd looking coil on your stator, but four wires from the pickup coil? We need Lyn Edwards back for this one.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
The problem is, your stator/pickup coil set up is downright weird. Standard set up for AC CDIs is:- one phase of alternator wired into CDI, this provides the AC power. One wire from pickup coil to CDI (other wire earthed to engine), this provides the timing signal also AC. Some older systems have a separate alternator coil providing the AC power, which would explain the odd looking coil on your stator, but four wires from the pickup coil? We need Lyn Edwards back for this one.
I have some new info to add. So the source coil on the stator. The white wire is grounded through the CDI. The red wire produces AC voltage sent to the CDI. What's weird is that the red wire coming from the CDI is ground and the brown wire is what receives the voltage. Possibly another sign of CDI failure. Now for the pickup coils on the outside of the flywheel... I'm not sure if it's suppose to, but the CDI is sending a ground signal to one side of each coil. When the spot on the flywheel comes in contact with the pickup coils, they send that ground signal back to the CDI telling it to fire. Why two pickup coils were still not sure. The same year warrior has the same setup. Years after that use one pickup coil. I'm probably going to end up retrofitting a warrior CDI.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No spark issue solved!!

I changed everything! stator,coil,key switch, battery, plug, cdi box still light to weak just enough to light in line plug light but not enough to spark a plug!
it was the rectifier!!
dont let any clown say that
it doesn't tie in with the spark that is bull
it does!
happy riding dor65!!
Dahlgren off road 65

Old 07-16-2018, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Very common on Honda 450FMs. Don't know why, but if the regulator fails on one of them it usually won't spark.

A full AC CDI ignition is completely separate from the charging circuit, but from 1990s to when bikes changed to EFI systems, most of the "big four" maker's bikes had a sort of hybrid ignition system, part powered by battery, part from an AC coil on stator.