Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha bear tracker

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Are you sure you have the reverse lever in the proper position!! My wifes tracker locked up similar to what you describe and I found the reverse lever not fully engaged/disengaged. She couldn't get it to budge and I had to man handle it but it finally popped out or in and all was good. Just something to check before you tear apart the engine.
Im not that mechanicaly declined haha.

I have messed with the lever a chit ton, it drives but with resistance and it doesn't sound good at all.

also when it initially messed up I was driving 30 mph and it locked up.

The lever itself is almost jammed to even move it back in forth between reverse and forward(I know it helps to rock the bike back and forth).
and sometimes when i put it in forward it was in reverse so I definitely think its a tranny problem

Old 12-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer

Ended up taking the whole motor out today.

Gonna tear it all down and rebuild it. leaks oil at a few spots anyway.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

Some bad news, was trying to tear the left case apart and after getting the recoil off 3 screws are stripped and 2 of them I can only get at with a screwdriver since they are about 2 inches inside a slot in the engine, so I can't dremal a new slit for a screwdriver or anything.

Any suggestions? I'm basically stuck here.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

That is a tough one. First I would find a long enough center punch to make a center point on the screw head for a small drill bit to pick up. Drill with a small drill bit and you will hopefully be near center of the bolt. Not sure what size bolts your talking about here but then you can use an easy out or make a trip to your local hdwe store and find a couple left hand thread bolts. Find a size to fit tightly in the drilled holes and the left hand bolt should loosen the stuck screw while it is being tightened. Or see if the hdwe store has a left hand easy out so it will remove the bolt while being tightened as well. Reaching down into the crevice is a real pain. Not sure why any mfgr would still use a slotted head in todays world. Good luck

Old 12-08-2016, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
That is a tough one. First I would find a long enough center punch to make a center point on the screw head for a small drill bit to pick up. Drill with a small drill bit and you will hopefully be near center of the bolt. Not sure what size bolts your talking about here but then you can use an easy out or make a trip to your local hdwe store and find a couple left hand thread bolts. Find a size to fit tightly in the drilled holes and the left hand bolt should loosen the stuck screw while it is being tightened. Or see if the hdwe store has a left hand easy out so it will remove the bolt while being tightened as well. Reaching down into the crevice is a real pain. Not sure why any mfgr would still use a slotted head in todays world. Good luck
I will look into that thanks.

yeah whoever had this engine apart before weren't perfectionists that's for sure, random bolts from probably off lawn mowers and old stoves holding it together. gonna half to buy a new bolt set