Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha yfb 250 timberWolf WONT start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha yfb 250 timberWolf WONT start.

4 months ago i went on a gigantic dirt road/off road trail. close to the end the bike died all of a sudden. we tried to start it but the pull cord felt stuck so we put it on a trailer and its been in a garage until now. A week ago we took the covers off found out the timing was way out which we fixed with a manual. It turns over nicely now, feels like it has good compression and makes a little pop sound every so often. today while trying to start it, it backfired LOUDLY but still wouldn't start. I'm thinking of taking the carb off and cleaning it but i don't have that much experience. Any ideas please?

Old 09-29-2016, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

So far I have:
Cleaned the carb.
Tried a different carb.
Checked spark.
Tried a different spark plug.
Gained blisters from pull start.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The timing is fixed on all modern quads so if you "found out the timing was way out" this indicates something seriously wrong with the engine. As it now backfires, this would indicate the timing is still wrong. My guess would be that the valve timing was OK but the flywheel came loose and put ignition timing out. The timing marks on the flywheel would not then be at TDC so, if you timed the valves to the TDC mark, you now have both ignition and valves out.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Samuel-james Fisher
close to the end the bike died all of a sudden. we tried to start it but the pull cord felt stuck so we put it on a trailer and its been in a garage until now.
If it suddenly died on you and the engine couldn't be turned over with the rope starter,then sounds like it may have had a piston ring seizure. I've had seizures happen to people like this,later on they could operate the pull start after it sat awhile and cooled down,but they still couldn't start the machine back up. I'd check the valve clearance and do a compression test even if it feels like it has good compression.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
The timing is fixed on all modern quads so if you "found out the timing was way out" this indicates something seriously wrong with the engine.
its from around 1997 i think. I don't think that's modern.
I have ordered a compression tester and will check valve clearance tomorrow.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

1984 Honda 3 wheelers are the newest bike with adjustable ignition timing I have seen, valve timing never alters, so you have a serious problem in the engine if either is out.