Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 Yamaha Bear Tracker - Help :)

Old 10-24-2016, 08:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Yamaha Bear Tracker - Help :)

I've been trying to get my 4 wheeler to start and so far this is what I've tried.

I replaced the starter relay, cut-off relay circuit, new battery. I am able to jump the starter using jumper cables from the battery and also can jump the starter using a screw driver across the solenoid terminals.

The start button stopped working and I took that apart and the spring is shot. I bought a new momentary button and tried hooking that in using the existing two wires that the old push button was using. I'm not detecting any voltage in either wire when the kill switch is on and the ignition is turned on. The neutral light and reverse lights are both working. The headlights and taillights both work. Am I missing a ground or something in the switch assembly? I'm not sure what else to do. They don't sell the entire handlebar switch assembly anymore because at this point I would have bought it just to be done fixing this. Should I test the CDI unit next and how would I do that?

I should say everything was working a few weeks ago but I ran it out of gas but still was trying to turn it over. I didn't know the tank was empty but I could hear the clicking of the solenoid/starter relay stop working.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default handlbar ground

I'm not sure why, but I sanded down the handlebar underneath the switch assembly and it's now working. I guess I reinstalled the switch assembly not on the right spot before and sanding it down removed extra paint and made the ground spot easier to find.

I don't know.