Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizzly crazy good deal but no title

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly crazy good deal but no title

So I found an amazing deal, but the owner passed away no will to kids the guy never registered it. I do have pictures of the singed mso in the guys name and the kids have the death records. So no title at all, the state I'd be buying from is arkansas and I live in nebraska it seems like everyone I talk too in each state has somthing different to say..any help or facts on how I can get the title would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-08-2016, 07:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to apply for a new title from your state. As long as it's not stolen and you have a bill of sale. Make sure it's a good deal though. I have a friend here in Maine who does new titles. People buy "salvage titled" cars from out of state, he does the paperwork and gets them a new title. It works. Friend of mine bought a Ram truck from Michigan without a title, got a new Maine title. Check with Nebraska DOT. Unless they say it's a no-no, I'd try it.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

As Hydrex stated, it will vary from state to state.

In Texas, we can apply for a bonded title on something like this. A few more hoops to jump through than a regular title, and it could be a few hundred dollars more too.

Some states use a bill of sale. That's ok till you go ride in another state and to get their sticker/pass you need a title.

So if it looks good, make sure the price allows you that extra money to do whatever your state requires.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess a better question is, what kind of deal are we talking about? And how new is it? A very new quad without a title does raise some red flags. If its a bit older, then it makes more sense.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every wheeler I have ever had I bought and sold without titles. Every now and then someone will have a title and think that warrants a 50% price increase but honestly, around here, it's just not a big deal.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

MSO is the next best thing to a title but in your case it's in a deceased persons name. Should be able to obtain the MSO,bill of sale from the mans' wife or children,plus might be spooky but a copy of the death certificate would ensure it's on the up and up. We've given MSOs' to a lot of people that wanted to take care of that themselves.

Here's from your home state:

To obtain a Certificate of Title for an ATV, one of following documents must be presented to the County Treasurer:

Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO);
Certificate of Title – properly assigned;
Affidavit for Verification of Ownership of an ATV, Minibike, UTV or Minitruck;
Last registration and a Bill of Sale for used ATVs if previous location was not a title issuing state;
ATVs registered by the U.S. Military: U.S. Military Registration Document;
ATVs sold by the U.S. Government: U.S. Department of State Certificate of Title;
ATVs registered in a foreign country: a current Registration Certificate and/or a Bill of Sale, foreign country ownership documents and import papers;
Court Order.