Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Timberwolf 250 cranks but dnt start with electric start but starts with recoil

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup...turning the motor over...regardless of method...should produce a spark...I think you're right...you missed something...almost like something is wired backwards allowing current to flow to starter but ignition is killed...has to be at the ignition/start button...push that all goes to ****...pull the rope & it fires...I'd be suspect of that start button...can it be ohm'd for resistance?

Old 11-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thoughts exactly that's why I changed out the starter button, kill switch assembly. What makes any difference if I pull on rope or jump the starter with another battery. Both methods only rotates the crank. Which in turn produce spark. But I'm gonna look into the neutral safety switch tonight to see if that has any effect on stuff.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a wiring diagram would answer that question...but perhaps not...I do know that on a lot of machines the wiring/safety features work the same for the starter or pulling the rope...you most certainly have an odd case...

Old 01-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wondering if you ever found the source of your problem I have a 98 Big Bear doing the exact same thing

Old 01-16-2022, 02:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Same Problem -- The Fix

I Had the exact same problem with my 98 Timberwolf 4x4. Ended up being the orange wire coming out of CDI that goes to ignition coil, too much resistance from corrosion.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
Are you getting good spark with the starter? Spark testers are ok, but I'd ground to frame and visually confirm good blue spark when starter is engaged...

I'd visually compare the spark you get with the starter vs. the recoil...
what does it mean if the e starter spark is non existent (super low) but the recoil provides strong spark?

Old 01-10-2023, 05:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

As I wrote above, it is quite common and nobody seems to have a definitive answer. I found it was the neutral wire on a Honda, Rayzar found a corroded wire from CDI to coil. As I also posted above, blipping the start button and hoping a spark will "catch" while the engine is still turning over, is what many owners end up doing.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Did you ever found the problem? I have the same problem with mine

I would highly appreciate if you share the end result of this problem.

Originally Posted by afast14u
I have a 1999 Yamaha Timberwolf 250, that I can not get started with the electric start, (starter turns motor over like it should) but will start by pulling the recoil starter. I have changed almost every electrical component there is. I started with a new battery, then I have tried 3 different stator assemblies, new cdi, new coil, now rectifier, a different wiring harness, new solenoid, and a different start/kill assembly on handle bars. The thing is when I turn over atv with starter I have an inline spark tester and showing spark, but doesn't start then I pull the recoil starter it fires up. The battery shows 12.7 volts and 11.7 while engaging the electric start. I have adjusted the valves, I've done compression check, 110psi. New plug. Also another question is, I have key switch on, and jump solenoid but does not spark. I've even tried to use a direct hot wire to starter to turn over motor and no spark, but it has spark when I use the button but doesn't start atv. I'm at wits end and would like any advise I could get.