Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly vs Kodiak for the farm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly vs Kodiak for the farm?

Hello, my family is looking for a new quad for our property. We currently have a old worn out 2006 prairie 360 4x4 that we acquired a few years ago that has proved to be useful but it is time to upgrade. Our next quad will be used to plow our 1/2mile long driveway in the winter, haul firewood out of the woods, move trailers, put hay out for horses and other utility related activities. So far we know we want Power-steering, Independed rear suspension and a diff lock would be a nice plus, on the prairie 360 we use it often. This quad must be comfortable for my older parents and absorb the rough New England terrain well, as well as be able to shift from forward to reverse easily, it will rarely go over 25mph but must be able to tow a lot of weight easily. Right know we are locked between the Grizzly 700 eps, the Kodiak 700 Eps and the kodiak 700 eps se for the diff lock feature. Which one of these quads seem to be the best for my application? Would a Honda rubicon or rancher be better for my use?

Old 01-05-2017, 04:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I would have thought the Grizzly 550 was nearer to the Hondas you are looking at. I don't know about the 700s as UK farmers don't buy anything over 550 because of the fuel costs. The 550 seems a good bike, we have sold a few, but it is a bit tall and "numb" compared with the Hondas, I guess the 700s will be too, so it may not be as easy for "arthritic oldies" to get on and off.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're looking for new, the Kodiak eps SE would be the more economical choice over the Grizzly. The only difference between the Grizzly and Kodiak eps SE is the clutch weights for the cvt. The Grizzly is a bit sportier but for pure work duties, the Kodiak would be probably the better choice. I'd give both of them a test ride and see which one you like better. Honestly, some of the 450-500cc class machines would be more than powerful enough to handle what you're looking to do. The Can-Am Outlander 450L DPS would be a good choice. I have a friend who has one and it has surprising power for a 450cc machine. A new Polaris Sportsman 450HO with eps is another good choice. Either of those has plenty of power to plow snow or pull a trailer to haul wood and if you decide you ever want to do some trail riding, they've got plenty of power to have fun if you want.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome nickvarcco: These Forums were very helpful to me during my new ATV selection, so I think you picked a good internet site to visit. The choice of an ATV gets to be a bit overwhelming, at least is was for me.

It is wonderful that we have such a wide choice of ATV brands and models to choose from. Both the Grizzly and Kodiak are well known for reliability and "work-ability". I gather Honda rather invented the "utility" ATV market with their Rancher and Foreman models. They are very reliable and often the choice of farm operators like you.

I told my wife that an ATV is a "mountain tractor" as it is small in size and can do chores around our mountain property. I can push snow with it, and haul a wagon with it. However, I really had trail riding in my mind. ATVs are light duty machines. My Can Am will pull 1300 pound trailer, but is designed for only 50 pounds of tongue weight. I wanted a longer, narrower trailer so I can haul dead wood out of the woods. And a CVT is not what I consider a "working" transmission. I shall see how well it holds up pushing snow. Most ATVs have a two speed gearbox, and the low range multiplies the torque well to all 4 wheels so wheel spin is possible if you tie your ATV to a big tree and measured drawbar pull.

I would recommend you have the front winch, which you need for the snow plow lift. The winch will pull 3000 pounds properly rigged. That might help get your pickup out of the mud someday.

Generally speaking, the extra power gives you more acceleration and speed, but not necessarily more "work-ability". I noticed that the manufacturer's spec sheets hold rack weight carrying and tow ratings the same between the 600cc size and the 1000cc size in their model lineup. I do believe there is a difference in specs between the 500cc size and the "big bore" machines that seem to start in the 600cc range. The big bore machines are bigger, and are less maneuverable. I wonder if the same frame and driveline will hold up with a 90 horse engine versus a 45 horse engine. I was surprised that the drivelines are the same.

The IRS is important for a smoother ride. I gather ATV manufactures have focused on smooth ride for some time. Polaris is noted as having one of the smoothest riding machines.

David