Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Warrior

I have a Yamaha Warrior that hasn't been running very well for quite some time now. I have had several problems with it, including; starter, carburetor, electrical, one way bearing, brakes, and the A-arm ball joint.

This is my most recent problem, so as I stated, it hasn't been running for awhile. It was acting like the spark plug was skipping, so I checked that and it was fine, compression is at 148 with no rebuild. I decided to check the timing, as it sounded like it was jumping time while I would try starting it. I took the crankcase cover off and found the flywheel bolt and the TDC locating hole on the top of the crankcase that is on the flywheel. I found TDC line with a capital "T" above it, so I took the timing chain cover off, and found it soaked in gas. It smelled like gas, and was very shiny due to the gas. I smelled the timing sprocket and chain and it reeked off gas. I'm totally lost and thinking that one of the valves is not seating properly, or the sprocket is off a little bit, but I'm not sure that's the problem due to the running of the machine. Would the timing be off? Do I have bad seals?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks - Brock

Old 01-14-2017, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Well you have the T mark set, and the cover off the cam sprocket, so you can see if the timing mark is off.

The crankcase full of fuel is almost certain to be the float stuck open. Not sure on Yams, but I think there is an overflow pipe that should drain fuel out and down if this happens, so that is either raised or blocked, and fuel has to go into the cylinder and/or airbox instead. Either way it then runs past the rings into the crankcase, and the fuel/air mix is so rich it won't run. Empty the sump and fill with fresh oil. Empty any fuel from the airbox. Find out why the float sank, usually grit under the needle. Then find out why the overflow didn't work.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
Well you have the T mark set, and the cover off the cam sprocket, so you can see if the timing mark is off.

The crankcase full of fuel is almost certain to be the float stuck open. Not sure on Yams, but I think there is an overflow pipe that should drain fuel out and down if this happens, so that is either raised or blocked, and fuel has to go into the cylinder and/or airbox instead. Either way it then runs past the rings into the crankcase, and the fuel/air mix is so rich it won't run. Empty the sump and fill with fresh oil. Empty any fuel from the airbox. Find out why the float sank, usually grit under the needle. Then find out why the overflow didn't work.
I looked at the timing and found it was 180 degrees off, I fixed that. Then I checked the overflow and found it was plugged. I put a feud filter on the pin before the carb and cleaned the carb out. New spark plug, and fresh oil. Runs good!
Thanks!!