Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 kodiak 450 wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2003 kodiak 450 wiring issue

Okay I just got this kodiak today. It has been sitting for a while due to wheel bearings going bad. The gauge cluster will not come on and the key switch does nothing. If I put power to the wire on the starter it will turn over slow. I have been checking connections and grounds and everything seems okay. I tried jumping the starter solenoid and that does nothing at all. Checked all fuses under the seat and everything is good. I am lost!!!! Please any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also the headlights do not come on either.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You still have a bad connection problem, see my posting on Yamaha Kodiak electrical issue? However you may also have a flat battery, so charge it up.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

The battery has good power I also had my charger hooked up as well as I'm hooked while trying to find the problem.

Another question - is the fat black wire that goes from the starter solenoid supposed to be grounded? I tried jumping the contacts on that solenoid and nothing happens. But if I put power straight to the starter it will turn over...

Old 01-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get your battery load tested by an auto store or walmart. A battery that has been charged does not necessarily equal a good battery. I had the scenario happen where I charged the battery with brand new battery charger that also does maintenance charging and the charger told me it was fully charged but could not start my Grizzly. Finally took the battery and had it load tested... it was bad. Replaced the battery with a new one, charged it and Grizzly started right up.

Also, remove and clean all battery and ground/frame ground locations to know the connections are good and not fouled.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys I will check on the battery.