Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

motor swap help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor swap help

Hey guys I got a 92 big bear 350 4x4 that I blew up. Now I just bought a new motor for it. The guy said it was a big bear 350 motor and when I checked the front of the head I verified it being a 350. Only difference I saw was the starter was mounted on top instead of on the front like my old motor. I thought no problem because the shaft and motor mounts were all the same.

Well I bought it it was 100 bucks and the head was just rebuilt. Very clean motor. I get it home and see there is no shifter. It is made without one. Is this motor an automatic? All the part numbers stamped from the cylinder up are the same. The case has different numbers.

the new motor has 4wu-081571. How can I look that number up to determine what yamaha 350 motor this is....I've searched everywhere on the Web and most lead me to vin numbers on the frame. I need to look up this number stamped on the case of the engine. Or if anyone knows what motor looks like I described. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-14-2017, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After alot of research I have found that this motor matches a 95 wolverine motor. Now there is a lever on the right side of engine and I see I need a connecting rod to go to a shifter on left side.

question now is is that lever on the right side a cable for a clutch? Is it manual? Just wondering cuz my big bear motor all you had to do was shift the foot shifter. No clutch handle on handlebars