Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha big bear stator help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yamaha big bear stator help

hi ,,, can someone help ?,,, been having a problem starting when cold i had to recently replace the starter clutch which was bad and all went good but having problem starting
i took it to local private shop and they are telling me the stator seems bad and only firing once every 3 - 4 times .he said coil was good cdi usually not the issue but ..
is the stator a direct link to starting issues ? he said the pick up coil may be bad but replace it all the stator and pick up coil attached .. he said he checked thru the plug harness and the ohms - he used that word i but would say impedance did not read correctly that the part was bad ,, any opinions or help before i spend a lot to fix this .. i may get the bike back and just do myself , i have done a lot of work and capable . any help is always appreciated here .. thank you ! hunter56

Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To my limited knowledge... and yes I had to replace the stator in my Grizzly because it was burned out as the 07-08s have an issue, but no, the stator is akin to a car's alternator and should not impact the quads ability to start. If you have a fully charged and good battery, the stator will not have an impact if the quad starts. That is 100% based on my Grizzly as I could charge my battery with a tender and start it even though my stator was bad and needing replaced.

Sounds similar to stealership "knowledge" spewing you are getting.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I agree, stators can be toast and the engine run fine. I have a Honda 400 auto in at the moment, stator shorted out to earth, no charge, and the owner didn't know anything was wrong until the battery went flat.

Could be a bad trigger coil, and some are soldered to the stator harness, but you can usually get separate, aftermarket coils, to solder on. Most likely causes of bad starting, bad spark plug, carb partly blocked, or low compression, check those out first.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the replies .. plug is new carb was rebuilt .. am picking bike up from these folks .. he said he adjusted valves and the timing was ok compression was good .. but couldnt get it started he checked the ohms and the stator showed bad ,, was fiirng every 4 or 5 times ..very frustrating not having someone to take to ,i would risk to take to a backyard dabbler,. dealers wont look at caus its a 2007 no private reputable shops .. hate to start replacing parts on a whim .. any help here is great thanks

Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 AM
Trailblazer

i found a good aftermarket stator w pickup coil for about 100 bucks not sure what to do at this point ..this is a great place for help any at all at this point

Old 02-02-2017, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You should absolutely test your stator because if for what ever reason, the dealership mechanic was right about the stator failing, then it should be replaced. However, that will not mean your quad will start with only the stator replaced. There is something else going on of why the quad won't start. Also, make sure your battery is completely charged up via a tender/charger.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

thanks again . am going to pick up bring home .. just had that assembly off new gasket replacing the starter clutch i did ,, battery is very good the guy says the stator and pick up isnt firing enough fire ,, the coil is good timing is good ,,lets see getting it home hs adjusted valves checked compression ok timing ok he couldnt get it to start due to fire he think the triigger coil in the stator but should replace both .. any ideas from anyone is great and welcome ..thank you

Old 02-03-2017, 03:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Tests for the stator, all three phases should have the same resistance when you put an ohm meter between any two, and none of them should be earthed. The trigger coil should produce a small AC voltage when you spin the engine over on the starter. There are accurate resistance readings in workshop manuals for alternator and trigger coil, but most meters are not all that accurate anyway. Do not assume a new plug means a known good plug, new ones can be faulty. It is possible you knocked the trigger coil when you put the case back on, either damaging it or bending it too far away from the flywheel. Like I wrote earlier, for most models you can buy a trigger coil separately, but not from Yamaha.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:59 AM
Trailblazer

thanks this is great tip .. i got a new gasket coming and got bike back ,, when i picked it up the guy showed me he had a tester that goes in between the spark plug and when trying to start no spark ,, it sparked every once 4 times when he bumped starter and was weak .. am going to crack the case and see ,, i have a haynes manual thats pretty good and gives the readings for testing

Old 02-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Trailblazer

I have a new stator coming and trigger coil . going to replace the coil also .. any suggestions when putting the new stator and trigger coil in ? .. I was very careful when I did the starter clutch putting it back together ,, I had problems also prior starting .. any suggestions is appreciated ! could any other parts be an issue also ? I should check like the regulator ? and the cdi?