Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak high beam headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 09:55 PM
KMR
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak high beam headlights

So I installed some cheap LED bulbs in my son's Kodiak. I was also installing a 10 inch LED light bar. The plan was to hook it to the high beams. So I was attempting to determine which wire was high bean on the headlight plug. I managed to touch headlight power and ground and noticed a spark. I turned the headlight switch to high beam and the lights would go out. Strange. If I put the switch on low beam the lights work. Ut oh. What did I do? It appears no power to the high beams. I know the LED bulbs only have one setting, but the high beams seem to have no power to the headlight.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Take the LED bulb out and use a tester on the socket when the quad is on and in the high beam position.

For the Grizzly 700 and 660 there are 3 wires to the headlights and they both use the yellow wire for high beams. I understand that Yamaha has a tendency to use similar wire color schemes across multiple models so your Kodiak might be the same.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:09 AM
KMR
Trailblazer

Ok. If i don't get juice on the high beam. Where do I look from there? It appears to be one fuse for the headlight. High and low. That looks good and low work.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

You really need to test with a meter to know what is going on... and don't want this to sound blunt, but, try not to get into "what ifs". You also haven't provided much in the way of specifics so we're both only guessing here. Again, not trying to sound rude or blunt, but more specific information will help.

What exact year, model quad are you working with? What light bar, Amp draw? What LED light replacements and do those work in both low/high configurations because not all do? The headlight LED replacements I'm using do work in both low/high but it is the same amount of lumens for each position. That is the reason I use the high beam wire to energize my circuit for the light bar, more details below. When I was looking for head light replacement LED bulbs, that are many that only work in the low position.

Test the high beam in the socket and go from there. BTW, you really should not connect the light bar directly to the high beam wiring as that wire is meant to only carry a specific amount of Amps on it. You should only use that high beam wire to energize a relay that would provide a separate path to light the light bar where that added circuit also has it's own fuse.

I just did a LED light bar schematic write up yesterday, LED Light and Fuse Block Wiring Schematic - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum but this might be a bit more complex than what you are looking to do. The first post on this thread, HOW TO: Wiring your Aftermarket Lights - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum might be more of interest for you and a simpler approach.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:44 PM
KMR
Trailblazer

Ok. Maybe I'm not as knowledgeable as you. And if I was I guess I would not be here looking for answers. I have a 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450. I was attempting to identify the high beam wire by separating the light connector and touching with a test light inside the connector . While doing so i accidentally touched the ground (high beam?) and ground at the same time. As a result I saw a small spark inside the connector. After that the high beams were no longer working. The low beam would work from the switch. When high beams put on, the lights would shut off. This was all before any attempt to connect the LED bar. I checked what I believe is the fuse under the seat. It says "head" on the label. Assuming that is the head lights fuse? Is there something else I can check?

Old 02-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

Completely understand you needing help.

You may need the Yamaha Service Manual which should be available for small fee download online. The other forum I linked to has a lot more Yamaha specific people on there daily and some regulars familiar with the 450, you may want to start a similar thread there too. I'm not familiar much with the 450 but understand some of the wiring and other components are very similar in a lot Yamaha models.

Seems highly unlikely but it would not be 100% out of the question of if you blew the high beam circuitry on both head light bulbs. I wouldn't think that is the case but it could be possible. Using a meter on the head light socket high beam would confirm or even removing both LED bulbs and putting an OEM bulb back in to test.

Other thoughts are tracing out the wiring to see what is connected, assuming an OEM relay. That could be another possibility of a part that went bad from the momentary short.