Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Trailer update. Weighed, licensed, and Roadtested.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did what Polaris can't seem to. Built it Big, Strong, and Lightweight. 6'x14' utility made for 3 quads, But with TANDEM 3,500 lb. axles for a 7,000 lb GVW. This trailer just got a 2,000 mile roadtest out to Pismo and back with all three quads behind a Nissan Pathfinder. Got it weighed today for it's real license plate (it kinda borrowed another trailer's plates for the roadtest)
Empty, for the vehicle registration, the Trailer only weighed 840 pounds!! That's 500 lbs lighter than my old trailer, a 5'x12 Big Tex tandem utility, that wouldn't hold 3 quads. I have also roadtested this trailer to 95mph fully loaded with the same Pathfinder.
At last we have a slide-in pop-up camper for our half-ton Z-71 Chevy 4x4 x-cab. With the lightweight camper and the lightweight trailer, along with our way lighter sport quads and Grizz, We finally have a rig we can take to the mountains or the Dunes for camping/riding trips, without going to a 3/4 ton truck that sits in the driveway till a camping trip comes along.
Keeping the weight down was a primary goal of all of this. The mesh floor on the trailer is much lighter than wood, and the thin wall square tubing is much lighter than channel.
The low, 6", fixed siderails eliminated gates and allow sideloading. And it's big enough for three quads plus cargo boxes, extra water, gas etc.
This trailer was built from a kit. Besides all the bits and pieces the frame was in sub-assemblies, main floor, tongue, siderails. It cost $689 not including floor, safety chains, tires or wheels. These kits are pre-assembled in Mexico and sold locally at Parrish Distributing (505)538-5381, in Silver City, New Mexico. They come in various sizes from a 5'x8' to a full car hauler. I have no idea where else they are available. You better have a MIG welder if you want to build one of these, the rectangular tubing is paper thin, like 16 guage, (the car hauler is 12) And even with a great Mig and a good shop it is still a bunch of work by the time it's all done. It took me about 3 full days, mostly welding. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-27-2001, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer

Its difficult trying to find a good inexpensive trailer to haul quads. I bought a new travel trailer frame from a place that builds them for 250 bucks. I wired it and screwed some 3/4 treated plywood down on it. It has a 3,000lb axle under it, 2 axles would be nice. I ended up with a 12'x7' flat trailer except for the wheel wells. I can fit 3 quads comfortably and a truck tool box on the front for gear. 2 people can easily lift the side up to change a tire on it. pulls nice and it was cheap. Anyone looking for a basic frame, check out a place that manufactures them for travel trailers.

Old 07-27-2001, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

My trailer is a used mobile home chassis with dual axles. It's constructed from some huge I beams. I bought the chassis for $250 and added a 6x14 3/8" steel plate and fenders($250), covered with roll on bed liner materials and toyota 4x4 wheels/tires. Have a little over $600 invested and used some scrap 4x4 posts as wheel stops attatched to the bed with carriage bolts. This thing holds 4 full size quads nicely. Just licensed it yesterday $46 for 2 years. I weighed it at a bit over 1500lbs. Makes a nice anchor when I try to drive my truck through sand! Had all 4 wheels on the truck digging for china!