Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly, Sportsman, Foreman, or Master Quad???

Old 09-01-1999, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still looking to buy a 4wd atv, and would like input from any and all who would like to comment. I am looking at using to what i would call full capacity, i.e.: Ice fishing, (in DEEP slush, so this brings the ? to mind of the willingness for the belt to get wet, which I obviously want to stay away from), pulling a log here and there, trap line traveling, riding in mud and muck. I have been told a few different things to look for when considering an atv, and would like any owners of the above mentioned quads to contact me, or leave a note here, and i would be GREATLY obliged. Thanks a Mill, Chris!!!

[This message has been edited by undecided (edited 09-01-1999).]

Old 09-01-1999, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Un,
I'd go with the Magnum 500 or Sportsman 500.. The AWD system would surely serve your ice riding better than the more conventional limited slip diff. front end...

Old 09-02-1999, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

most deffinately,limited slip will do just what it implys,one wheel spin you slip.Polaris one wheel down will pull u out.

Old 09-02-1999, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

Something to consider. Polaris's Liquid cooling system has been prone to freezing thus hampering you oil cooling capabilities. Leading to a damaged motor. Extended riding in cold weather, usually not a problem. But if you unload from your truck, and haul your gear out onto a frozen lake, shut down and then fish for a few hours the condesation in the oil cooling system can frost or freeze. Look it up under polaris problems in the tech tip section for the full story. Having one extra wheel spinning ain't worth the problems documented against polaris's products. TF

Old 09-02-1999, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer

I've got an 98 Grizzly I swear it can take any kind of abuse you can throw at it. 1300 miles on it and still runs like brand new. I take it to Wisconsin 3 weeks each summer and then back on the farm and work its tail off. Just remember a four stroke likes to keep cool so I run 15w50 Mobile 1 and change the oil often.

Old 09-02-1999, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

I had to make the same decision 2 mos. ago. I chose the Foreman 450ES, but it was a tough decision between that and the Grizzley. What it came down to was reliability, while the Yamahas are very reliable, the Honda is ultra reliable. I think either would last many many miles if taken care of properly.
I have had no experience with the Quadmaster, so I will not comment there, but have had bad experiences with Polaris, you may want to stay away from them.

Old 09-02-1999, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

Phoenix1,
Two of my hunting pals bought brand new 450ES's last hunting season. Both of them have had extensive electrical problems. When inquiring with the dealer what to do, they were told to go out in the garage and start them at least once a week, or the digital display panel drains the battery down to nothing! Thus affecting the elctric shift as well. Or take the battery out of the darn thing when your done riding for a while! After watching them scratch their heads and curse their new Hondas, at deer camp I'll stick to My Grizzly. TF

Old 09-02-1999, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Welcome Undecided!

If you want my opinion on the 2000 grizzly? It's awsome,meets my needs, and I love it.

As for the belt issue: To me that's old news. (works great and every thing is sealed up nicely)

As for the rest of the machines: All the machines listed above are more than ample to fill the criterion. (I think you meant Quad Master?)

My personal thoughts are that you've left out another great machine......HHEEEEEERRRRREEEEE KITTY, KITTY, KITTY, KITTY, KITTY!!!

mborum 2000 grizz, HD FLHC, and alot of other neat toys

[This message has been edited by mborum (edited 09-04-1999).]

[This message has been edited by mborum (edited 09-04-1999).]

[This message has been edited by mborum (edited 09-06-1999).]

[This message has been edited by mborum (edited 09-06-1999).]

Old 09-02-1999, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advise TailFeathers. My 450ES rarely goes more than 3 days without a ride, but I will keep that in mind. I had read a review that they had a hard time shifting with a dead battery, they had to rev the engine, or you could use the included manual shifter.

The Grizzley is also an awsome bike and it was a difficult decision, I may find one in my garage in another year or so, but it would keep my ES company, not replace it.

Old 09-03-1999, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Undecided: I have some experience riding both the Grizzly and a Sportsman. There is no doubt in my mind that the Polaris with the AWD is superior in the mud, snow and slush to the Grizzly. The Polaris has pulled the Grizzly out twice now. SP500 goes through....AWD and higher clearance and the Grizzly has failed then gotten the pull from the Ploaris. Both have been excellent machines with no problems at all. If I had it to do over again? I'd probably go for the 2000 Kodiak.

Good luck,

Flash

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grizzly, Sportsman, Foreman, or Master Quad???