Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 grizzly Vs. 700 Sportsman, which is better?

Old 10-02-2001, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to buy a new quad with independent suspension. I have narrowed my selection to the the yamaha and polaris. I have owned a 500 sportsman HO and like it and had no problems. I just found it a bit heavy and comberson even though it has the best ride in the business in my opinion. I have rode both of these two new quads and liked them in their own way. The 700 sportsman of course had a great ride and comfortable seating postion, but felt big and heavy. I also didn't like the low range gearing. The yamaha felt good but I don't think rode quite as nice.. The seat is also a little cramped because it slopes forward. I think doubling with my kid might be a little awkward. I am also a little nervous for the yamaha in water. I hear that they start to sputter if they get in any kind of water. If anyone can offer suggestion with experience with these two machines would be helpful. It is a hard decision to which machine to purchase?

Old 10-02-2001, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

As for the Yamaha in Water question....

My friend has a new Kodiak and it spits and sputters like crazy when he goes in the water (sometimes almost to the point of stalling).

I don't know how the Grizzly is though because I've never even seen what run.

-Josh

Old 10-02-2001, 02:27 PM
Range Rover

My brother has a 2002 Grizzly and that thing runs in the water all day long with no problems. If I was going to get a utility quad the GRIZZLY would be the one for me!

Old 10-02-2001, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

I can't help you on the SP700- I've seen one, but never got to ride it. (I thought it looked sharp, if that counts for anything.)

As far the Grizzly goes, so far it's been a great machine for me. I only have 10 hours, but they have been fun and trouble free. I have used it to ride trails and to do some work around the house, including pulling small stumps and pulling out logs. Never a complaint.

In reference to water- I read the article in ATV Action and read a few comments on this forum, but I have not had any problems. I've been in water which cleared the tires and it never balked, sputtered or anything but plow right through...

I considered the SP700, but decided on the Griz becuase of the positive experience that I have had with Yamaha (I still have two Phazer snowmobiles, ones an 84' and the other is an 85' and they still run great). The weight was also a factor- I thought 600 lbs. was a bit of an overkill (I whish the Griz was lighter). A 700+ plus machine makes it that much harded to get unstuck if I go Ice fishing...

Your call- you'll probably love either one.

Old 10-02-2001, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Tell your friend he needs to put some dialectric grease in the spark plug boot and that cures the sputtering prob. I'd bet it is the same thing on the griz too in that both have the 45 degree tilted engine which makes the plug vulnerable to water.

Old 10-02-2001, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2k Kodiak and it does sputter in the water.I have read some test reports that have said..(and also quoted Yamaha) that the sputtering is steam getting into the air cleaner momentarily when you splash in water.I happen to agree with this idea.It makes sense if you think about it.They said they felt it was the same reason for the grizz doing it,other wise all I have heard is positive things about the grizz.
2000 Kodiak
1998 Wolverine
1988 Big bear

Old 10-02-2001, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

If your talking speed the Grizzly is a lot faster and pulls harder throughout. I rode both and thought the polaris was a dog.

Old 10-03-2001, 01:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If speed is in question, the Grizzly probably accelerates faster and the SP700 probably maxes out higher. Thats what I've found from what I've read so far. Basically, the weight would be the only difference I would see between the two other than what manufacturers name is written on the side of it. For me, the Grizzly was more appealing due to it being lighter. That has nothing to do with how it handles, the 700 handled really good. Basically, its just easier to manhandle the Grizzly around when you get it in a tight spot. I'm talking about picking it up or sliding it, not riding.

Old 10-04-2001, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

I can't really say from a buyers view, because I'm not in the market to get a new quad. But, if someone said to me "make a choice between the Polaris, and the Yamaha" to me that would be a "no brainer". Get the Yamaha! As much as I hate to say it, between the two, the Yamaha will last longer, work better , and probably cost less! If you're really set on "buying American", if there really is such a thing anymore, buy an Arctic Cat. A much better built machine.

Rick

P.S If I had to buy a new quad right this minute, I think my lean would be more to the Prarie. I really don't like the machanical unreliabitity of all the added CV's on the rear axle with the IRS set up.

Rick

Old 10-04-2001, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Well I was out on the weekend with 7 machines.
2002 grizzly
2001 SP HO
2001 Kodiak ultra.
2000 500 CAT
2000 Grizzly
1997 500 Explorer
and a 2002 Raptor

Well here is the story, we went into some deep water and mud, we all got stuck a few times. We pulled each other out. Diff lock or not you can still get stuck. Now I pulled the HO out 2 times. No problem I also got stuck twice on my 600 grizz. The new Grizzly performed perfectly in the water and never sputtered once. It did get through a spot where the SP got stuck though, I guess because it is lighter.
Well we put 100 miles on this trip, after the swamp we did fire road riding and the new grizz is the king of power no matter what people say it kicks butt, not as qick at the raptor of course but its fast and takes off faster than my 2000 Grizz, and i'm even with the HO on top end. The kodiak and the Cat did well in the mud and water but were left in the dust on the fire roads.
Now this is where it gets interesting, on the way back the HO was right next to me and all of a sudden he quits, I stop and he gets off the bike to show me, the belt blew off of it, ya and the worst thing is its the second one in under 6 months. He's only had it since the spring. He is not a happy camper, I have over double the miles and the same kind of riding and he's on his 3rd belt already. I had to pull him for about 30min till the rest of the group stopped and waited. The guy with the explorer had a extra one. It wasn't the right one but it fit enough to get us out of the bush, thank god because I was thinking that I was towing that 725lb hunk of steel all the way home. The other guy with the 97 expoler said the reason he had an extra belt is because he's went through 5 since he got it in 97. The blow belts all the time.
If you want ride hard and want rock tough, go with the Grizz, they don't blow belts or break down. I have a friend with a 98 with 5000 miles on it and he's still on the same belt and he pounds the bike.
Good luck
2000 Grizz 3600 Km's, like a rock!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 grizzly Vs. 700 Sportsman, which is better?