Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee owner impressed by first raptor ride..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 10:34 PM
Default Banshee owner impressed by first raptor ride..

Banshee owner impressed by first raptor ride..

Well I’ve always wanted to see what all the hype was all about. so last weekend at Gordon’s well my buddy and I went out camping. A few drinks later, and he let me hop on his rappy. I said “I’ve never been on a raptor before” and he said, “it’s over there”.He started it for me; and I figured out the rest from there..LoL. Right off the bat I liked the green neutral light and the fact that the head lights not only don’t flicker but they can be turned on with the engine off. His raptor is all Alba hoped up (piped, jetted, I believe he said lectron carbs and K&N ect) First test was on a straightaway where I gave it all it had in gears 1 to 5.. I appreciate the toque that always feels like its there for you; but, when you floor the gas all the way there is no top end. Its as if nothing happens you just gain speed slowly (well, compared to a two stroke), also, its hard to tell what gear your in because they all feel the same and its almost like not one gear is much faster than the other one below it! I guess I’m used to the arm ripping top end of my shee. Now I know why raptors are so popular, they are GREAT machines, extremely easy to ride.
I bet a 686 kit solves all this though? Right..I hope..lol….i’m not bashing the raptor I think its freakin sweet..just not my thing.
Can you make a raptor have that top end hit of a Shee while having the bottom end also?
I know you can make a shee have bottom and top end at the same time..

Thanks
liquidsand

Old 03-03-2003, 03:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact opposite reaction(but this bike was not hopped up yet) I thought, hhmmm, nice and boring.. Here ya go, ill take my Banshee back!

RoostKing

Old 03-03-2003, 03:31 AM
Range Rover

different strokes for different folks, LOL.

I do have a hard time believing that one can make a 2stroke banshee have a real "low end" - especially after you are talking about the raptor low end...... brilliant low end and an ok high end, banshee...NO low end and a brilliant top end - if its tuned right. JMHO.

Old 03-03-2003, 03:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Tundra,
I used to think the same thing, until I got my stroker motor built. Now it feels like a 4 stroke with gobs of torque. I can lug my bike around all day with no problems(is I need to lug that is!) . It also cruised the dunes nice. Pretty much stay in 4 th gear the whole way. No clutch feathering, no shifting like a batt outta hell! Real nice, not real chealp though!

RoostKing...

Old 03-03-2003, 03:43 AM
Range Rover

it cant be cheap to have a 2 stroke with a low end - I spent 200 bucks on the porting of my chainsaw...LOL, but its still has the same characteristics of a 2 stroke, no low end and a brilliant top end...you must be a happy man!

Old 03-03-2003, 04:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Heck yea! I love how this bike performs now. Perfect dune bike that has better MPG than a stocker, and a heck of alot faster!

RoostKing...

Old 03-03-2003, 02:04 PM

Roost king..i was trying to get the point across that it was boring compared to my shee..
you said that you get good gas millage...do u run c-12?

liquidsand

Old 03-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

I have ridden the Warrior and the Honda 400 and few others. I bought an '02 Raptor and to tell you, WOW!. I haven't ridden the Banshee but from what a few guys tell me is that the Shee has lots of power. But the difference is the Shee will spin at low end and the Raptor puts it to the ground. I couldn't be happier with my Raptor and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

boreing compared to a banshee? Looking at what you have done to your banshee, Ive smoked more modded ones then yours and mines stock bore. The day i spanked my freinds beefed up banshee he went out and got a +5 swingarm, sent his head off for more porting, and some other stuff he hasnt told me about. I dont like 2 strokes because you have to be on it the whole time. Every gear is the same. The wheels spin and you throw a roost. yippy. I run my paddles at 3lbs and i can launch faster than most banshees. Not including full on drag, alcohol shees.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:13 AM

LoL

Quick Reply: Banshee owner impressed by first raptor ride..