Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best Antifreeze for ATV's??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Antifreeze for ATV's??

Just thinking I should change the Antifreeze in my Raptor. Service manual says to use "ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines". Any suggestions as to who makes this kind, besides Yamaha?? I don't want to buy from local dealer. They'll leave me feeling like a choir boy at a priest convention!!...OOPS...did I say too much?!?!..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2003, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to change mine but I've heard great things about Engine Ice.

Old 03-26-2003, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wondering the same thing. I heard engine ice is the way to go. Thats what I was going to get then when ordering the dealer said it makes engines run too cool. Too cool? any opinion would be great.

Old 03-26-2003, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe in subzero temps it might have an adverse effect but where i live in the south, cooler is better.

Old 03-27-2003, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

i don't know about too cool. my bike still gets hot sometimes. what i'm not sure about is the actually freezing protection it offers. down here, i don't have to worry about it, but you guys in the arctic north have to. i like it because its non-toxic and it's this really kick *** blue. just make sure you COMPLETELY flush out your old coolant with distilled water first. if you don't, it will react with the ethylene glycol and gum up, clogging up your radiator and water pump.

Old 03-27-2003, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

All standard Antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol. Not the new Dexcool mind you, or the new Non toxic stuff, but the everyday green Prestone in the yellow jug. Remember that car manufacturers have been using aluminum radiators and cylinder heads for years! What you DO have to carefull of is the water you mix it with. Antifreeze has a reverse cooling index. Meaning, the more water you mix with it, the better it cools. It actually has a wider range of protection when diluted 60/40 than when used straight. Use Distilled water.. The kind your wife uses in her iron. The antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors in it, but the minerals, like LIME, will desposit in the radiator giving you headaches down the road. Quad Radiators do not use as heavy a gauge aluminum so corrosion is more important than the truck you drive daily. Use distilled water, and change it every year or so.. An interesting FYI about Lime is that it does not disovle in warm water like most solids would. It actually will disolve in cold water, but comes out of solution in warm or HOT water.. Thats why so much is desposited in your hot water heater, and the same thing happens to radiators in cars/ trucks, and ATV's!

Some people use regular water with nothing added to it. Water absorbs the heat faster than just about any antifreeze combination, and this ability to quickly absorb heat is why some people use just water when racing. But over the long haul, you will eventually boil the water out, not have any rust/corrosion protection or freeze protection.. Use the right mixture and keep your cool.

Sorry for the length of the post! Someone finally asked a question I knew something about!

Old 03-28-2003, 01:41 AM
Range Rover

Well said Ddogg!

Old 03-29-2003, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

If you live in California, or where you don't ahve to worry about freezing, use distilled water and "Water Wetter".

Your engine will run cooler with the water wetter than with just water or 50/50 water/antifreeze. It has corrosion inhibitors, too, and it is pink. Probably not the most "Manly" color, but it works. That is what I use in my quad during the summer time here in Michigan. I add regular antifreeze in the winter.

RR1

Old 03-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've heard about water wetter before... Is that the brand name? Who sells the stuff? Not Wal-Mart!

What temp range does it give for use?