Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 gas boiling problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 660 gas boiling problem

After reading all the comments about the gas boiling problem that I only thought existed with my Grizzly,
I thought I would shed alittle light on this issue. I purchased my grizz in Aug of 01. Not long after I
purchased it the problem of what appeared to be the gas boiling began. After numerous hours of on the
phone conversations with Yamaha customer service and many hours in the shop trying to solve this important issue I came to the same answer. "There is nothing wrong with your ATV sir." As we all know
now I was not imagining that this was happening. The reason the gas appears to boil and that the ATV opperates poorly is due to heat trapped in the engine compartment with no where, or should I say nothing to remove it and what happens is the heat on the carb begins to meet the alcohols boiling point in the gas which causes the bubbles to rise up through the gas lines back into the gas tank causing the
loss of petro to the pistons. This is where the ATV starts to sputter and not want to run until you reach a high speed forcing cool air to travel through the engine compartment cooling the carb back down. I only wish that Yamaha would own up to there engineering mistake and recall a fix to the problem such as a secondary fan to assist with removing unwanted exhaust heat while traveling at slow speeds under high engine demands. To all of you fighting with your dealers and with Yamaha themselves, DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Old 05-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 660 gas boiling problem

Yamaha has a kit to fix this problem! You can buy a heat shield kit that goes under the gas tank whick is only $7.00 and new side panels that are vented, but is cheaper to modify your stock ones, thats what I did, a person from a dealer showed me how! It will take care of the problem!