1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

150cc Chinese ATV with no spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I just went back and read your first post again...i wonder if you got water in the carb when you washed it? There should be a large bolt like fitting on the bottom of the carb for draining the fuel...I would try draining it and see if it runs after that....

Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also try just spraying some carb cleaner or starting fluid in the spark plug hole, just like 1 seconds worth of spray & put the plug back in it... try to start it & see if you at least get a good old fashioned pop & maybe a 1-2 second run out of it.... if you do, you know its not a spark issue & its a gas issue.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

What quad do you have? I had a Sunl with lots of problems and as soon as I disconnected the wireless kill switch I got full spark back. The tether on my quad was in the back. I didnt have the actual plug for it so I had to disconnect it. Testing the switch mine also held the ground open so no bridging of the two wires after disconnecting the plug was necessary.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

check for a cracked intake. ive serviced several chinese quads and a air leak in the intake seems to be a major downfall of theres. along with valves that are not tight enough

Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello everyone,
I got into the carb with some cleaner, double checked the fuel to the carb and put in a new battery. But it still didn't start even though it had good spark. So out of desperation I went and got a new high performance CDI and .......................it started and ran. I couldn't believe it. Not only that but it has never run that good as long as I've had it. Its really snappy too. So the Jingjong will be out this weekend. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Unhappy new star 150 quad with no spark

i have a new star quad that i was using on some trails and when i shut it off it wouldnt start again. it did get a little wet and i have done everything on this forum so far but im still not getting spark to the coil. is there anything else i could try doing? i checked all the plugs, i put new connectors on all the ground and power wires. the wiring diagram has helped out allot but if there is anything else i could try?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you know if you have a DC powered CDI or and AC powered CDI? The troubleshooting scheme is different between the two. Here is a generic procedure for finding out which CDI you have:

The 2 plug 6 wire CDIs come in two different designs. One is powered off 12 volts DC, and the other is powered off a moderately high voltage AC which comes from the stator. Unfortunately there is no reliable way to tell the difference between the two by just looking at them. To be sure you need to use a meter to find out which you have:

1) Unplug the CDI, and turn on the ignition. Do not crank the starter motor. Use a meter to measure the *DC* voltage on the pin labeled "AC ignition power" in the wiring harness to both ground pins in the 4 pin CDI connector. If you measure 12 volts DC then you have a DC powered CDI.

2) If you don't measure 12 volts DC on the ignition power pin, then switch the meter over to measure AC volts on the 200 volt scale. While cranking the starter motor, measure the AC voltage on the "AC Ignition Power" pin to the the Ground pin. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC. If you measure AC voltage when the starter is turning then you have an AC powered CDI.

Using a meter is the only 100% reliable way to figure out if your CDI is AC or DC powered. But there are some clues you can use that are usually (but not always) correct:

A) DC CDIs tend to be a little larger than their AC powered counterpart. This is because the DC powered CDI needs a bunch more circuitry to convert the 12 volts DC to the moderately high voltage supply that all CDIs must have.

B) Most (but not all) DC powered quad ignition systems do not use the kill switch input pin. The CDI connector pin usually has no wire tied to it. AC powered quad ignition systems usually do use the kill switch input pin.

Originally Posted by nissanguy98
i have a new star quad that i was using on some trails and when i shut it off it wouldnt start again. it did get a little wet and i have done everything on this forum so far but im still not getting spark to the coil. is there anything else i could try doing? i checked all the plugs, i put new connectors on all the ground and power wires. the wiring diagram has helped out allot but if there is anything else i could try?