ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   1) Engine problems.. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-engine-problems/)
-   -   help diagnose stator (https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-engine-problems/320119-help-diagnose-stator.html)

gozrstubs 11-03-2009 12:31 PM

help diagnose stator

could someone please tell me how to test a stator i have for wires of it they are a yellow, white, green,yellow/blue wire
also how do you test a cdi?i have these wire coming from cdi on one plug i have a yellow/black, green, and a blue/white and other plug a black/red wire. i have only just bought this quad and dont no nothing about it,i havent seen it runnin and no there is no spark, i dont no if there is wires missing or what
need help asap goin to set it on fire lol

please help cheers chris,

gozrstubs 11-03-2009 04:15 PM

also does anyone have a wiring loom to this bike please

LynnEdwards 11-03-2009 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Chris,

What kind of quad? Is it Chinese? Do you know the engine size?

Does your CDI look like this:

Attachment 20381

The following assumes the above picture is correct. If it isn't then say so and we will have to back track a bit. If I don't forge ahead on assumptions then we'll spend too much time waiting for each other to respond to every detail. I hope that makes sense.

The first thing to check is whether you have a DC powered CDI (I'm suspecting this). Unplug the CDI, turn on the ignition switch and measure the DC voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin in the wiring harness to ground in the above picture. If it reads 12 volts DC then you have a DC powered CDI. And if this is true then obviously it isn't an AC ignition power pin, but 2 connector 6 pin DC powered and AC powered CDI's look the same (except the DC powered ones are usually slightly bigger).

On DC powered CDI's the only stator connection that has anything to do with ignition is the Yellow/Blue wire. It would be the trigger pulse signal that tells the CDI when to fire the spark plug. The yellow and white wires would be the battery charge winding in the stator, and green is ground. Please make sure you didn't miss a black/red wire coming from the stator. That would change everything. Not a big deal, but it points out a different course of action then the one we're now on.

Concentrate on determining if the CDI looks like the picture above, and whether it is DC powered first. We can go from there.

If I'm going too fast tell me and I'll slow down. But you will need a voltmeter to figure this out. So get one ready...

gozrstubs 11-04-2009 01:33 AM

all I no is that it's a 150 it has epams on the side.I will check the Cdi when I get home and it does look like that

gozrstubs 11-04-2009 01:34 AM

And sorry I have no ignition barrel need to bridge wires

gozrstubs 11-04-2009 12:58 PM

all the wires in pieces could do with testing cdi off the bike
or do i just buy a new wiring loom,can any1 tell me what bike it is by the colour of the wwires
cheers chris
i thnk its a yamaha raptor

LynnEdwards 11-04-2009 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by gozrstubs (Post 2862436)
And sorry I have no ignition barrel need to bridge wires

How many wires do you have on the missing ignition switch?

LynnEdwards 11-04-2009 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by gozrstubs (Post 2862606)
all the wires in pieces could do with testing cdi off the bike
or do i just buy a new wiring loom,can any1 tell me what bike it is by the colour of the wwires
cheers chris
i thnk its a yamaha raptor

CDI's are tested by measuring all the inputs first to see they are correct, then making sure there isn't obvious problems with the output side. Then you change the CDI. But you have to get the right one - especially difficult in yout situation since you don't know yet whether to buy a DC or AC powered CDI. They look the same. You're going to have to do some measurements. Found a voltmeter yet?

Yamaha Raptor? I don't think so. Your quad says "epams" on the side, not Yamaha.

gozrstubs 11-05-2009 07:45 AM

Yeah I have a voltmeter

gozrstubs 11-05-2009 08:00 AM

Also how do you test stator as only have 3 wires to a connector block and ones separate