1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

ZongShen 162FMJ first gear goes in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZongShen 162FMJ first gear goes in reverse

I took apart my engine to clean, check the clutch and change the gaskets since I haven't used it in a year or two. After I put it all together again, when I tested the gears by hand I noticed that i had 3, 2, n, r, but when i put it in first it would turn the gear in reverse. I've spent days trying to figure out why this is happening to no avail. There is a wire that bolts to the side of the engine and runs to a, I guess coil that then has a tiny wire that comes out to make contact with the gear tumbler. I'm not sure why it's there or what it does, or if it could have anything to do with the gears. Also my clutch springs are down to the service level, guessing I need new ones. I haven't been able to locate specs on the spring bolt torque, if there is. Video's I've seen are in Russian and they just tighten them good. When I tighten them I can't get the clutch to release. Could it be the springs? There are 6 springs in this engine, I've seen the same engine with both 4 and 5 springs. Any help is much appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Tanox (11-10-2019)
Old 04-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

The only thing i could think of is you put the 1st gear in backwards. Forward and reverse gears are cut in the opposite direction.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your reply. I would like to say it's as easy as me putting the gear in backwards, but all the gears would not fit into place if I put one in wrong. In the first picture you can see the gears in place with the forks in the tumbler. If I rearrange anything then the forks don't work, there's not enough room for them to tumble and move. The gears behind that in picture 2 don't come apart. The 3rd and forth picture are of the wire I described that touches the tumbler.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you miss something on that "coil"?
Mine, that part you missed, is broken. I wonder how exactly this part is called and where to buy it.
I have Tayako 200cc 169FML engine. I don't find anything for Tayako, maybe this company not exist anymore. Engine looks identic like chinease 200cc.
This part is for secure to don't put in reverse gear by mistake or it is more right to say, this parts gives you oportunity to set in reverse.

Attached Thumbnails ZongShen 162FMJ first gear goes in reverse-img_0491.jpg   ZongShen 162FMJ first gear goes in reverse-img_0492.jpg  
Old 11-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, you will have more pictures of the gearbox or how many teeth the gear has in reverse thanks!