1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Anyone ever hear of a Cruz-In quad?

Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever hear of a Cruz-In quad?

I bought a used quad over the week-end and the certificate of origin says it is a 2005 CRUZ-IN 110CC.

Can find very little info (actually none) about this machine. Piston was seized, starter was bad and the carb was full of dust and sand. Got it running after repairing all that but now have problems with the carb adjustment.

Thanks to fine contributor here I ran through the adjustment procedure posted and can't get it to run unless the choke is closed. It just does not like to have the choke open even hot. It fires right up and runs a low throttle settings but I can get the thing to respond to the air screw and the idle screw has little effect (alll this with the choke mostly closed as it dies out if the choke is opened without feathering the throttle. I live in Vegas where it's hot most of the year but the temps just went down significantly (in the 50's) and wondering if that has anything to do with my being unable to keep it running without raising that needle valve. Thanks for any help

Last edited by Sidewinder747; 10-06-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: resize photo
Old 10-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

I might add that the bike seems to run fine with the choke open only about 1/8 to 1/4 of travel. That's not right. warmed up I would think the choke should be fully open to allow as much air in for good power.

I keep tinkering with it and get the idle to speed up then open the choke a little more but that's still no right. I know nothing about that throttle needle except how to raise or lower it. It seems to idle fine at this 1/4 choke setting but after a while the rpm's start to "hunt" increasing a bit then decreasing a bit not stable idle at all. Any Ideas?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default solved problem

After thinking about it a bit I removed the carb an disassembled it again. Although I had tanked it and all the jets I did not carefully go over the jets. I pulled both jets and had a look with a 10x eye lope and the main had at leas 5 of the 20 holes plugged and the little one was clogged through the center. Took jet files and cleaned out all the orifices and slapped the thing back together. Low and behold a smooth running engine. I used the recommended method of adjusting the idle and the little bike cranks up at the touch of the button and purrs like a kitten.

Thanks to Tomanytoys for the fine article on carburetor adjustment and others who contributed to that thread...... it was a great help.

Now for some who may be like me; first time out on repairing a quad like this I will share what I found.

This is from my 110CC Chinese engine. The photo below shows the Carb with the bowl removed. The two jets in question can be seen as the brass jets the main in the center of the carb and the secondary or pilot right next to it

The next shot is one of the two jets removed

Finally a close up of what could be the culprit on a rough running engine. Notice the tiny holes on the body of the 2 jets. The Main has 4 rows of 5 holes for a total of 20 you can see in this photo. The smaller jet has 6 holes positioned on the body. Both jets are drilled through from end to end. Make sure you get these puppies cleaned out and you can see daylight through each one and life will be good.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great post. I'm sure it will help others. I'm glad you got your quad running again...

Old 10-09-2011, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Lynn, I learned a wealth of knowledge from reading your post's.

This little quad was given up for junk and now it is a good running bike with very crisp throttle and plenty of power. I bought because the plastics were in good shape and the frame was not showing that much use, seat almost perfect a good sign it was garage kept.

I had so much fun doing this on I bought a little 49cc kazuma today the folks had grown tire of and angst over not running good. I almost had them pay the cost of gas for me to pick it up.

This one needs rings and the carb was as bad as the one discussed here. Got it this AM and already almost have it to bare frame. Carb is finished and I'm reviving the tie rods now. I will have to let of about $75 bucks for a new body but hey it's fun.

I see where you can take the little 49cc and bring it up to 90 or 100 cc with a cylinder kit so I will be looking in to that. maybe you can point me in the right direction. It actually cays 48 cM3 on the cylinder and the head is E22 with the engine being a 139FMA. It was a kuzuma Meerkat.

I think that 110 cc might be a bit too much for my little guy to learn on, he needs to practice, and get use to the gears, gas and brake etc first at very low speed. I know I can adjust down the throttle but that bike just looks a little too big for now, maybe in 6 months or next summer he will be ready. Meanwhile I want to get that 48-49-50cc to get some life so as to at least climb a little hill.

Again thanks for your reply, I look forward to learning more here.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Post Looking for a little info

Great posts. Nice info. I know your post were from quite a long time ago and I am hoping you are still out there willing to give a little info. My daughters boyfriend saw the little Cruz-in in our shed. It been in there for maybe 10 years. He wanted to get it going. Well he did in a couple of hours. I told him to change oil before running to much. I dont know what type of oil to put in the crank case. Can you help with that?
And also they run straight gas right?

Old 08-25-2018, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Great Thread. Need an engine replacement

My son broke the shifter out of the case and need to replace the case. Does anyone have any suggestions for an engine that would be a replacement or upgrade that would fit?

Casey

Old 08-26-2018, 02:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Googled it and it has a Honda cub clone engine. These are available in automatic, forward reverse automatics, three speed manual, three speed and reverse manual etc. Chose whichever gearbox type you need. Any of the "Chinese parts suppliers" should have all variants of the 110cc version.