1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Lost our key to Sun L 110cc..

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost our key to Sun L 110cc..

Hello everyone.

I have been checking out the forums and there is a great deal of good info I am sure I will be using at one point or another. I was hoping someone would have a quick answer to an issue I have. Here goes..

I bought a 110cc SunL quad several years ago for my kiddos. It has given them years of fun. We just got it out of storage for some springtime fun, and no one can find the KEY for the quad! I know the best thing to do would be to order a new ignition switch and key, but since this quad is close to being on its last leg, I really don't want to spend any money on it. (I know, I am cheap!!)

Is there any way to just bypass the ignition switch? If so, does anyone know which wires should be hooked together, or left unhooked, or whatever? Thanks in advance for any help. It is appreciated.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Method 1 (the best method):

There are two separate switches in the ignition switch. One switch connects battery positive power to the lights and starter interlock circuitry when it is in the "on" position.

The other switch is open (not connected) in the "on" position and shorted in the "off" position. This switch is what kills the engine when you turn off the quad. You really don't need this one as long as you have a working handlebar kill switch. Just use the handlebar switch instead. They both do the same thing.

So you need to find the two wires that get shorted together in the "on" position. One is fused 12 volts DC from the battery. Look at the wire color on the output side of the main fuse. Find the same wire color at the ignition switch connector in the wiring harness. That is one of the two wires. Red is the most common color.

Look at the color of any ground wire that ties to engine ground with a lug and bolt. Find that same color at the ignition switch connector in the wiring harness. Cross that wire off your list. This is not the other wire you need. Green is the most common color for ground wires.

Look at the color of the kill switch wire in your wiring harness at the CDI connector. Use the following picture as a guide:

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 16873
Size:  19.2 KB

Cross this wire off your list also. It isn't the second wire you need. Black with White stripe is the most common color.

That leaves one wire left. That is the second wire that you need. Short those two wires and your lights should work, and the starter motor through the starter interlock. Of course you will to disconnect these wires after the quad is stopped or the battery will eventually go dead when you set the parking brake (which turns on the brake light).

Be sure to disconnect the other two wires (ground and kill) and leave them free. If they are left hooked to the ignition switch (which is turned off) they will be shorted together and your spark will be killed.

Method 2 (simpler, for testing only, bypasses all safety interlocks):

Unplug the ignition switch. All four wires hanging free...

Turn off all kill switches (handlebar kill switch and tether/lanyard kill switch if equipped). Disconnect the remote control module if you have one.

Set the brake, and make sure the quad is in neutral. Remember that this procedure bypasses all safety interlocks.

Follow the fat red wire off the battery positive terminal to the starter solenoid post. Find the other solenoid post that routes down to the starter motor through another fat red wire. Short those two posts together with a screwdriver. Some sparking is OK. The starter should turn, and the engine should start. If your quad is in gear, and it takes off by itself and smashes into your neighbor's brand new Mercedes - you were warned...

Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow.. Don't take this wrong, it is meant as a compliment, but that is way more information than I expected! You ROCK! Thanks so much. That should get me going.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lionheart73
Wow.. Don't take this wrong, it is meant as a compliment, but that is way more information than I expected! You ROCK! Thanks so much. That should get me going.
Welcome to the forum Lionheart73!

He is pretty impressive isnt he?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the welcome. Impressive? That is an understatement.

Picked up a simple, single pull AC toggle switch this evening while I was out. I plan on working on the quad for a bit tomorrow and more on Thursday. Hopefully I can get the ole girl up and running. Cross your fingers, the kids are counting on me.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lionheart73
Thanks for the welcome. Impressive? That is an understatement.
Your Welcome. How about AWE inspiring? I used to think I knew a bit about electrical circuits...now Im convinced Lynn has forgotten more than ill ever know.. and he has a very simple way of explaining it..

Ive said it before, and ill say it again...LynnEdwards is a huge asset to this forum!!

Old 01-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Method 1 (the best method):

There are two separate switches in the ignition switch. One switch connects battery positive power to the lights and starter interlock circuitry when it is in the "on" position.

The other switch is open (not connected) in the "on" position and shorted in the "off" position. This switch is what kills the engine when you turn off the quad. You really don't need this one as long as you have a working handlebar kill switch. Just use the handlebar switch instead. They both do the same thing.

So you need to find the two wires that get shorted together in the "on" position. One is fused 12 volts DC from the battery. Look at the wire color on the output side of the main fuse. Find the same wire color at the ignition switch connector in the wiring harness. That is one of the two wires. Red is the most common color.

Look at the color of any ground wire that ties to engine ground with a lug and bolt. Find that same color at the ignition switch connector in the wiring harness. Cross that wire off your list. This is not the other wire you need. Green is the most common color for ground wires.

Look at the color of the kill switch wire in your wiring harness at the CDI connector. Use the following picture as a guide:

Cross this wire off your list also. It isn't the second wire you need. Black with White stripe is the most common color.

That leaves one wire left. That is the second wire that you need. Short those two wires and your lights should work, and the starter motor through the starter interlock. Of course you will to disconnect these wires after the quad is stopped or the battery will eventually go dead when you set the parking brake (which turns on the brake light).

Be sure to disconnect the other two wires (ground and kill) and leave them free. If they are left hooked to the ignition switch (which is turned off) they will be shorted together and your spark will be killed.

Method 2 (simpler, for testing only, bypasses all safety interlocks):

Unplug the ignition switch. All four wires hanging free...

Turn off all kill switches (handlebar kill switch and tether/lanyard kill switch if equipped). Disconnect the remote control module if you have one.

Set the brake, and make sure the quad is in neutral. Remember that this procedure bypasses all safety interlocks.

Follow the fat red wire off the battery positive terminal to the starter solenoid post. Find the other solenoid post that routes down to the starter motor through another fat red wire. Short those two posts together with a screwdriver. Some sparking is OK. The starter should turn, and the engine should start. If your quad is in gear, and it takes off by itself and smashes into your neighbor's brand new Mercedes - you were warned...
I am having a similar problem. My boys broke the ignition. I cut it off and attached the red to the black wire and got it to turn over but I'm not getting any fire?

Old 01-30-2016, 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Chinese 4wheeler with a remote kill switch. I cut the ignition off and connected the red to black wire and got it to turn over but I'm not getting any fire? Can anyone help?

Old 01-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

just stick a screwdriver in the ignition switch and give it a good twist. The locks inside will break and then you can use any key or screwdriver to start/stop. I did this for quite a while on my little ones quad until i replaced the plastics and figured id do everything up

Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 110cc atv

So I'm trying to install a flip switch or toggle whichever way you say it. But I have four wires a red which is hot, the green its ground, black I which if I'm correct leads to the safety switch, and the black and white stripe wire which is the engine kill switch. So I need to know which wire should be used together